Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> on 2007/08/10 18:02:01 UTC

Policy intents and policySets on bindings and implementations

I noticed that bindings and implementations now have:
- intents
- policySets

and

- computedIntents
- computedPolicySets

How about simplifying this a bit and doing what we've done in
CompositeBuilder with all other similar cases like bindings, property
configuration etc.
- we read intents
- we compute/combine/override intents declared at different levels
- eventually the intents field contains the effective (computed) intents

With bindings on references for example we don't have bindings and
computedBindings...

This will make the model simpler, and will also avoid confusion when
people use the model, like: hmm I'm looking at Binding, which intent
field should I use? intents or computedIntents? should I add to both?
which one should I get the intents from? if I add to one does the other
reflect my changes? etc. :)

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Policy intents and policySets on bindings and implementations

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]
Venkata Krishnan wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> Yes, this was what I intended to do initially.  But got a bit
> concerned about losing the original state of the model after build
> time.  I was thinking of a Admin or Mgmt function that might display
> the original configurations before thing got built i.e. computed or
> aggregated.  For this I thought its best to have information that was
> originially loaded preserved.
>
> The 'ComputedIntents' and 'ComputedPolicies' will only emerge during
> the build time.  I could not figure out a better place to hold this
> information than the model itself.
>
> Well, that's just for explaining the thoughts behind that
> implementation.  I am open to cutting this out :).
>
> Independent of this change, could you please help me get some clarity
> on how we could retrieve the original configurations.  Thanks.
>
> - Venkat

If you want to implement an administration tool that shows the original
composites, components, services, references, implementations,
bindings... and policies then just don't call CompositeBuilder.build()  :)

Administration tools, wizards, and editors should use the original
models loaded from the development artifacts. CompositeBuilder.build()
refactors and transforms the original assembly model so much (to make it
easier to process at runtime) than preserving only the original policies
wouldn't help anyway.

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,