Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Ravi_Jain <Ra...@satyam.com> on 2002/01/04 06:10:55 UTC

Defining/Assigning meaning to tags !

Hi All
I want to define(design) some tags for standardisation.
for example as in case of HTML tags .."<br>" is understood as break point
etc.. can anyone let me know if similar functionality is possible with XML
...so that I can define my tags to understand what to do with its argument.
Thanks in Advance
Regards
Ravi Jain

is appreciated.

Re: Defining/Assigning meaning to tags !

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
Anyone can define their own XML tags, and define any standard functionality
that they believe those tags should cause. The easiest way to do this is to
put your own tags into a namespace of your own, like "mynamespace:mytag",
where mynamespace is related to your company or the standard you want to
create. Then write up the document that indicates what each tag means and
how applications should react to them.

If you actually want it to become a real standard, then that's a whole
different story. You'd have to either get the backing of some consortium,
such as the W3C, or push it yourself until it gets accepted. Either one is
probably pretty hard.

Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"If it don't have a control port, don't buy it!"