Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Marcel Dullaart <md...@epo.org> on 2004/03/23 09:35:26 UTC

Messaging

Hi all,

The only possible communication between Portlets as defined in the API is
via the session with application scope.
In some of our portlet applications we have a need to communicate during
the processAction phase, for which we currently
use messaging.

For instance we have a portlet application that has kind of a windows
explorer look:
On the left a portlet that shows folders and on the right a portlet that
shows the content of the selected folder in the left portlet.
If a user clicks on a folder, the folder name is added in the portlets
titlebar, and the new content is displayed in the right portlet.

The processing required in the right portlet really needs to be done
during action processing because of timing, so that information
will be available to other portlets for the rendering phase.

The right portlet shows the number of items in the titlebar.

We want to comply to the JSR168 portlet specification, hence have to
migrate our portlet application to that.
So how can we accomplish the above using JSR168, and get it running in
pluto?

Kind Regards,
Marcel

Re: Messaging

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Marcel Dullaart wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The only possible communication between Portlets as defined in the API
> is via the session with application scope.
> In some of our portlet applications we have a need to communicate during
> the processAction phase, for which we currently
> use messaging.
>
> For instance we have a portlet application that has kind of a windows
> explorer look:
> On the left a portlet that shows folders and on the right a portlet that
> shows the content of the selected folder in the left portlet.
> If a user clicks on a folder, the folder name is added in the portlets
> titlebar, and the new content is displayed in the right portlet.
>
> The processing required in the right portlet really needs to be done
> during action processing because of timing, so that information
> will be available to other portlets for the rendering phase.
>
> The right portlet shows the number of items in the titlebar.
>
> We want to comply to the JSR168 portlet specification, hence have to
> migrate our portlet application to that.
> So how can we accomplish the above using JSR168, and get it running in
> pluto?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Marcel

We now that this is an important feature, thus we listed it in the spec
appendix as something we will add in a future version. In order to get
the first version out the door we needed to cut some advanced things off...

So currently you can only use propriatory extension for this.

Stefan