Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/09 17:23:00 UTC

nio.2 in JDK 7

We should keep a watch on NIO.2 to see how it fits in with Kafka. It is the
first refresh of NIO since 1.4, and adds a lot of missing functionality:

   - Filesystems are now pluggable and hence mockable
   - Support for asynchronous file operations
   - There is an AsynchronousSocketChannel that has a nicer interface than
   selectors. We could consider this for the clients...

http://java.dzone.com/articles/understanding-nio2-file
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-nio2-1/index.html

Obviously this is completely non-backwards compatible, so adopting any of
these would break compatability with 1.7, so it is likely a ways out.

-Jay