Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Mike Klein <fo...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/10 18:37:08 UTC

Basic questions re: jsr 105/106 &w3c stds and xmlsec

Jsr 105 (signing) is 'finalized' and jsr 106 (enc) seems 'dead'.

I have a need to provide xml signing and enc across IBM and Sun JREs.

I see xmlsec only mentions 105 compliance (perhaps because spec is final
after all) and no real mention of 106 compliance (which makes sense as
spec is 'dead').

I am able to do certain kinds of xmlenc with xmlsec just fine, but is it
based on any accepted standard at this point? Can xmlenc output from
xmlsec be sent to 3rd parties w/o any issues?

IBM jre seems to provide both kinds of functionality yet I don't believe
this helps me on sun jre...seems bundled with jre.

Is there even a need for xml enc on java or only sig?

thanks in advance...

mike

Re: Basic questions re: jsr 105/106 &w3c stds and xmlsec

Posted by Arshad Noor <ar...@strongauth.com>.
You'll find an implementation in Java Web Services Developer Pack 2.0
and its successor - Metro (https://metro.dev.java.net/).  We've used
JWSDP successfully in our open-source Symmetric Key Management System -
StrongKey - nearly 4 years ago for both, XMLSIG and XMLENC.

Arshad Noor
StrongAuth, Inc.

Posted by Mike Klein <fo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks much for the detailed and speedy response guys.

I am not seeing any sun-provided xmlenc impl at all...only apparently
for signature. This is where we were 'stuck' as only ibm jre seemed to
provide both encFactory and sigFactory...and we need something portable
across JVMs as internally we use ibm or sun impls depending upon server
role.

I am seeing good stuff and ease of use with apache xmlsec and will
continue to use it for it's portability. We have a prior implementation
on verisign's tsik? but am not sure if we will still use it due to
licensing or perhaps some other reason (docs, cost, ...).

The XMLCipher class was very straightforward and mirrors non-xml Cipher
class so great paradigm there.

I agree with your points on diligence regarding attempts to secure code
and engrs making it more difficult than it needs to be or should be.
Myself I have strived to provide high-level logical abstraction in
'envelope' apis so engr only deals with logical constructs as
objectname/ version, algorithm/keysize (as enums) and clear/cipher/sign
text....no ciphers/transforms/padding or other low level stuff to get
them in trouble. Additionally all poor alg choices are removed.

Have a good weekend and keep up the good work/fight,

mike

Posted by Arshad Noor <ar...@strongauth.com>.

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
On Apr 10, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Mike Klein <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am able to do certain kinds of xmlenc with xmlsec just fine, but is it
> based on any accepted standard at this point? Can xmlenc output from
> xmlsec be sent to 3rd parties w/o any issues?

Yes. Don't confuse API standards with the underlying security standards.

> Is there even a need for xml enc on java or only sig?

Need for an API? Portability is nice, sure, but most of the time other libraries have to wrap the low level APIs anyway.

-- Scott