Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu> on 2014/06/19 18:00:39 UTC

interest in new parser?

There is a paper at this year's ACL conference on a statistical parser
with some interesting properties [1]. I tracked down the software [2]
and it is apache-licensed (unlike most other high quality parsers such
as the Berkeley and Stanford parsers). It is written in Scala so in
theory it should be compatible. Most importantly it is about as accurate
as those state of the art parsers on English (about 33% error reduction
from the Ratnaparkhi parser that opennlp currently uses), and may be
superior for cross-language performance.

I am going to play with it with some of our clinical data to get a feel
for speed/accuracy on clinical text. Just curious if there is any
interest in a wrapper for this parser in opennlp?

[1] Paper link:
http://69.195.124.161/~aclwebor/anthology///P/P14/P14-1022.pdf
[2] Software: https://github.com/dlwh/epic

--
Tim Miller
Instructor

Re: interest in new parser?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
+1

Receiving Scala contributions should be fine too, but it we then should
make it
usable for Java applications.

Jörn

RE: interest in new parser?