Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Kelvin Tan <ke...@relevanz.com> on 2002/03/21 03:05:28 UTC

Re: Object dependencies

I posted this a couple of days back but didn't receive a reply, so here's
another shot at it.

When using Fulcrum/Turbine's security service, an app no longer has to
handle the mundane aspects of user/group/role management, which is A Good
Thing.

There are instances, though, when objects in the app have a
relationship/one-way dependency on a User object (like the Author field in a
Book class), or some other object. In a sample library app, when attempting
to delete a User (who is an author), maybe the user should be prompted with
a warning sign that reads "There are 50 books in the library who has <author
name> as the author. Deleting this user will delete the 50 books as well.
[Yes/No]", or something to that effect.

Several things have to take place for this to happen. For one, the
dependecies have to be resolved somehow, by someone (not by User, that's for
sure). Then, they have to be presented, and various courses of action
presented, depending on the dependent object in question. These actions then
have to executed.

And this is just taking the Security service as an example. In a sufficently
large app, I believe this to be an recurring problem. It's easy to hardcode
the dependency management, but that only means a whole bunch of code will
change (and probably break) when a new dependency is introduced. An event
notification mechanism could be introduced, but believe me that's no fun
when working at it from a web application.

>>From what I've seen of Turbine/Fulcrum so far, this issue hasn't been
addressed. I'm curious to know how others have attempted to address this.
How does Scarab address this? Should it be addressed? Or is this another
situation where contributions are welcome? :)

Regards,
Kelvin Tan

Relevanz Pte Ltd
http://www.relevanz.com