Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2022/11/02 07:54:49 UTC

[DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 2.1.0

The following is a draft announcement for the 2.1 release. I've prepared it
here for a little bit of feedback, before sending it out later today.

***

The Apache Accumulo project is pleased to announce the release
of Apache Accumulo 2.1.0! Apache Accumulo 2.1.0 contains numerous
features and improvements, and contains over 1200 contributions from
over 50 contributors.

This release includes external compactions, separate scanner thread
pools, separate compaction queues, per-table encryption configuration,
scan servers, atomic configuration of multiple properties, more efficient
use of ZooKeeper watches on configuration nodes, a convenient JShell
launch script, and many, many more changes.

See the release notes linked below for more details.

2.1 is an LTM (Long-Term Maintenance) release line, Users of 2.0 or
1.10 are encouraged to upgrade to this latest version. 2.0 is end-of-life
immediately, and will not receive any further updates. 1.10 will reach
that end-of-life in one year. Upgrades are supported directly from the
latest 1.10 or 2.0.1 only, so it is recommended to upgrade to one of
these first.

***

Apache Accumulo® is a sorted, distributed key/value store that
provides robust, scalable data storage and retrieval. With
Apache Accumulo, users can store and manage large data sets
across a cluster. Accumulo uses Apache Hadoop's HDFS to store
its data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus.

This version is now available in Maven Central, and at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/downloads/

The full release notes can be viewed at:
https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-2.1.0/

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Accumulo 2.1.0

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
1. If there's anything missing from the release notes, we can still add
them. Please do so.

2. For the description, I can make that change.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Dave Marion <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Dave Marion <dm...@gmail.com>.
Christopher,

  Thanks for spear-heading the release. A few questions:

  1. Given the number of changes and that not all of them are documented in
the release notes, should we also suggest that users look at the user guide
in addition to the release notes?

  2. For the description at the bottom, should we say "Accumulo uses Apache
Hadoop compatible filesystems to store its data and Apache ZooKeeper for
consensus." instead of " Accumulo uses Apache Hadoop's HDFS to store its
data and Apache ZooKeeper for consensus."? I know that testing has been
done using the S3A client[1], and others may work as well.

[1]
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.3.4/hadoop-aws/tools/hadoop-aws/index.html