Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joseph Lee <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/29 03:40:57 UTC

[users@httpd] Networking problem?

Hi,

I am trying to run Apache web server on my Redhat
Linux machine. I just installed and configured Apache
httpd-2.0.54, and entered "http://localhost" on my
browser (Mozilla). I was able to see "If you can see
this, it means the installation ... was successful."

However, when I went to another machine (a PC), and
entered http://(myhostname)/example.html, I could not
display the file on the PC. It just kept
processing....

I have modified /etc/xinetd.conf to include "service
http", and modified /etc/hosts.allow to add "http
myPCIPaddress", but it did not help.

I think it's networking problem, but I don't know what
else to do. (I can ping from PC to Linux).

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: [users@httpd] Networking problem?

Posted by Ryan Underwood <ne...@icequake.net>.
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 06:40:57PM -0700, Joseph Lee wrote:

> However, when I went to another machine (a PC), and
> entered http://(myhostname)/example.html, I could not
> display the file on the PC. It just kept
> processing....

Use the IP address of the other machine instead of the hostname.  If
that works, then you have a DNS problem.  In that case, add your other
machine to the 'hosts' file, or set up a DNS server.

--
Ryan Underwood, <ne...@icequake.net>

Re: [users@httpd] Networking problem?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Wednesday 29 June 2005 02:40, Joseph Lee wrote:

> I have modified /etc/xinetd.conf to include "service
> http",

That'll cause trouble (if it does anything at all).  Don't do it.

--
Nick Kew

[users@httpd] Re: Networking problem?

Posted by Joost de Heer <sa...@xs4all.nl>.
> I am trying to run Apache web server on my Redhat
> Linux machine. I just installed and configured Apache
> httpd-2.0.54, and entered "http://localhost" on my
> browser (Mozilla). I was able to see "If you can see
> this, it means the installation ... was successful."
>
> However, when I went to another machine (a PC), and
> entered http://(myhostname)/example.html, I could not
> display the file on the PC. It just kept
> processing....

Do you have a firewall running on the RH machine?

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] Networking problem?

Posted by Joseph Lee <jo...@yahoo.com>.
I forgot to mention that I don't have /etc/named.conf
on my Linux machine (even though I have
/etc/resolv.conf). Is that OK?

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by Joseph Lee <jo...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you, all, for trying to help me.

I tried http://(ipaddress)/example.html on my Windows
PC, but still could not get example.html from my Linux
machine running Apache web server.

I also did:

- modified /etc/hosts on the Linux machine to have the
entry for my Windows PC

- ping from Linux to Windows using hostname without a

Posted by Dan Trainor <in...@hostinthebox.net>.