Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com> on 2008/11/11 18:11:56 UTC

Why do Ruby libs still install in site_ruby?

We already have code in the Ruby libraries for packaging as a gem.
Gems are clearly the preferred method of managing libraries in the
Ruby world. So why does "make install" in the ruby lib put the bare
library code in site_ruby? This strange arrangement makes it really,
really easy to get yourself confused when developing on the ruby
libs, since the site_ruby install takes precedence over any gem install.

Is anyone relying on this site_ruby installation behavior, or is it
something we can just get rid of?

-Bryan

Re: Why do Ruby libs still install in site_ruby?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
cd lib/rb
rake package
ls pkg/

tada!

Posted by Ben Taitelbaum <bt...@cs.oberlin.edu>.

Re: Why do Ruby libs still install in site_ruby?

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
I'd be satisfied with a configuration-based option that defaults to
gems.

Posted by Kevin Clark <ke...@gmail.com>.

--
Kevin Clark