Posted to user@poi.apache.org by WALLE <wa...@inetsoft.com> on 2013/03/20 10:20:52 UTC

Why POI can not create MS excel97-2003 chart directly?

Hi, All

I'm studying ms-excel 97-2003 chart, mainly for the chart structure and the binary meaning of every record by biffview with the book Microsoft Excel 97 Developer’s Kit.  But I also notice the limitation about chart at http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/limitations.html and http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/chart.html.

Can anybody please help me to know that why POI can not create MS chart directly? Are there any detail reasons? Because of some unknow records in chart? like EC? 5D? 105F? I have tried for many simple samples with differen chart type or different data, I find the binary data in the unknow record never change, like "5f 10 02 00 00 00", the content of 105F unknow record alway like this, never changes. My samples are too simple to notice the problem???

Thanks in advance!

Regards

2013-03-20
Walle

Re: Why POI can not create MS excel97-2003 chart directly?

Posted by WALLE <wa...@inetsoft.com>.
Hi, All

Is this a technique problem? or it's too complex to implement? Thanks in advance!

Regards

2013-03-20
Walle

Posted by Guillaume de GENTILE <gd...@finbox-solutions.com>.
Hi all,

A workaround for creating charts in Excel is to create the chart in a
template and to use this template as a model for creating your report.

However, this solution has some limitations:
1) it is not possible to correctly duplicate a sheet that contains graph
(the graph duplicated in the new sheet is still referring the origin sheet).
2) It is also not possible to rename a sheet that contains graph without
corrupting the Excel document

I have developed a fix for these issues and submitted samples + my code.
Please refer to Bug ID: 54470

Regards,
Guillaume

with the current version of the POI api (3.9) it is not possible to

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.