Posted to user@struts.apache.org by fr...@free.fr on 2003/12/28 21:39:57 UTC

Reducing JSP Testing Time

Hello,

I’ve been using Struts for a little one now. My views consist of traditional
JSP code.

Note: My question is about the web page development cycle and relates to JSP
rather than Struts itself. Since lots of you guys are coding JSP, I’m still
wanna raise the issue described below in this mailing list.

I’m using Eclipse for coding JSP’s (I mean here HTML pages that include JSP
tags, no tag libraries). In order to test the visual aspects of my JSP’s, I
then build a war archive and deploy it to my web container. Nothing original
here.

Since HTML pages that include JSP tags are VERY long to open through the
browser on the first request (because of initial JSP compilation I guess), the
testing time is rather long. And I really get fed up with this now.

Therefore I’m wondering f there is a ** magic ** tool that would allow me to
code a web page that includes JSP tags in a VISUAL environment (like MS
FrontPage does for HTML for instance). The idea here would be to be able to
include JSP tags in a VISUAL manner (such as a <html:text> for instance) in
order to actually seeA CODING TIME the result on the screen BEFORE actual
deployment in the container.

Does such a tool exist ?

Do you have any recommendation for reducing this testing time for Web pages
that include JSP tags ?

Fred

Re: Reducing JSP Testing Time

Posted by Nadeem Bitar <na...@izucode.com>.
You can improve greatly the development/testing cycle by doing the
following:
1. Use ant for your build.
2. Precompile your jsp before viewing them.
3. Develop inside an unpacked war.
4. Use xdoclet
5. Use testing tools such as http://maxq.tigris.org, and testing
frameworks such as http://jwebunit.sf.net and
http://strutstestcase.sourceforge.net/

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com>.

fredatwork@free.fr wrote:

> > Do you have any recommendation for reducing this testing time for Web pages
> that include JSP tags ?
> I’m using Eclipse for coding JSP’s (I mean here HTML pages that include JSP
> tags, no tag libraries). In order to test the visual aspects of my JSP’s, I
> then build a war archive and deploy it to my web container. Nothing original
> here.

Above is what I do when I tag a CVS release about once a week.
But.. for day to day devlopment, I edit JSP and actions live.
I point my Resin and Tomcat configuration for document root to where my
eclipse project files are, which are structured in a war like directories.
As soon as I change a JSP I can refresh a page and see it.
As soon as I change a anction or a formbean, I can refresh the page in
Resin and see it. (Tomcat has a Eclipse plug in, but requires a restart
and a patch to server.xml not to complain about session formbeans, which
takes about 5 seconds as opposed to Resin, which is instant. Just saving
in Eclipse auto compiles and Resin can tell a class file changed, and
reloads the class).

.the
> testing time is rather long. And I really get fed up with this now.

Before I even start development, I make sure that ALL the forms (html
pages) reports and outputs are mocked up in HTML. (no need to start
writing formbean before we know what the client wants).
Once that is done, I just write struts mappings to those html files, and
a simple action and a formbean (since now I know the proerites) so I
have a prototype based on the mock up.
Note how I have the UI done 1st before construction. The UI developers
can use any HTML tool they like. FrontPage, DreamWeaver, Vi.... I do not
care, but I do know once they mock it up I can make it a prototype.
*I just don't code utill I have requirments. *
Since there is a mock up and a prototype, changes to formbeans and
actions are minimal, the navigation is lready decided by the client.
And last phase is DAO, which is not a problem, I can do any SQL join
they want to see.

(Some people code backwards, they look at data they have in tables, and
they show those records to the client. How this aproach ties into
requirments I have no idea, so client makes them go back to mess with
each page over and over. Why they just don't use a formBean for what
it's meant for- and interface- I have no idea. See- formal training helps.)

> Therefore I’m wondering f there is a ** magic ** tool that would allow me to
> code a web page that includes JSP tags in a VISUAL environment (like MS
> FrontPage does for HTML for instance). The idea here would be to be able to
> include JSP tags in a VISUAL manner (such as a <html:text> for instance) in
> order to actually seeA CODING TIME the result on the screen BEFORE actual
> deployment in the container.
>
> Does such a tool exist ?

Camino, M7, ExaStruts Studio, etc. Most are linked of the baseBeans
cheat sheet page (but I am in the middle of redoing the site).
But... I think Java developers like me, should do Java, and let UI
developers use any UI tool they like.
I do not know fonts, collors, spaceing, etc.

.V