Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> on 2010/08/03 10:26:51 UTC

fixing and maintaining zero reported warnings policy?

Would anyone mind if I submit a patch that fixes all the outstanding
warnings, etc., reported during the build process and by checkstyles and
findbugs on the trunk? More importantly, if I do this, is it possible to
adhere to a zero tolerance policy on warnings for future commits?

I find the 3000 or so warnings currently produced to be a rather significant
impediment to doing work on this code base, or at least, in preventing an
avalanche of new warnings upon future commits, given the trouble required to
determine the diffs between new warnings and old warnings. Perhaps this
isn't a problem for changes to one file, but for changes to a hundred files,
it is a major headache. Anyway, some of these 3000 are actually real,
lurking bugs.

I'm willing to do the cleanup work if others will help maintain cleanliness
going forward.

Regards,
Glenn

Re: fixing and maintaining zero reported warnings policy?

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
it may be difficult to agree on a particular checkstyles policy, and I
really don't want to force creating or agreeing on such a policy, e.g., i
don't like to break lines for some arbitrary limit and i use nested blocks
and inline assignment, while others may not like that; however, i try to
respect the style of the author of a given file, so if the author uses a
line length limit, i will keep to it as well as other styles;

for me, it is more important to create and maintain a zero warning policy; i
don't care if the warnings are suppressed as long as an author gave them
legitimate review and decided they were acceptable;

both checkstyle and findbugs provides mechanisms for filtering the output to
suppress warnings, and that is what i would prefer using, to permit what i
call "blessed" warnings, etc.

the important thing is that some author/contributor has taken the effort to
review warnings and bless them if they are to be allowed or to remove their
underlying cause if not;

that is what i propose to do and to maintain;

G.

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Posted by Eric Douglas <ed...@blockhouse.com>.
I've wondered about that myself.  I tried working with the Trunk and got
countless warnings.  They included dead code, deprecated methods, and
unused assigned variables among other things.  To sift through you could
go into project specific compile options in Eclipse and tell it to
ignore them if you have the project created as source.  There may be an
option to ignore on the ant build that's not as obvious but clean code
would be appreciated, even as much as I appreciate the dirty code if the
warnings don't crash anything and it got some useful features
implemented faster.  I would hope there's less urgency to implement now
that the project has passed the 1.0 mark and code can be kept clean.

________________________________

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Glenn,

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
This is a heads up -- I will be submitting a patch in a few hours that
corrects all outstanding compilation, javadocs, and checkstyle warnings,
which together produced about 2200 warning and error messages. This patch
changes around 400 files, so it is pervasive. It also incorporates the prior
patch I had previously posted for compile warnings only (Bug #49700). I have
already obsoleted the patch file attachment there in favor of the one I am
preparing to post.

I recommend that CTR policy apply in order to merge it into to fop/trunk as
quickly as possible in order to not interact with other mods.

Note that one compile warning wiill remain (a deprecation) until my recent
patch to xmlgraphics-commons is merged and a new build of commons is used
with fop builds.

G.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
It seems to me the following:

Glenn, perhaps you could submit a separate de-warning patch or patches
against trunk. That could be reviewed, applied, and downmerged into
the complex script work.  That might make this more manageable to the
committers. I would also respectfully wonder if diffing the build
output before and after your patches might be sufficient for your
purposes.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by sp...@leverkruid.eu.