Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/02/07 19:08:20 UTC

Wiki usage? (was: Proposal: Compile-time-data injection)

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:
> On 08/02/2012 02:51, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
>> I'm not sure if the Wiki is the place for proposals. If we put every thing
>> that everyone thinks about in the wiki as a Proposal we are going to have a
>> lot of wiki stuff I go through. Who keeps it updated? How de we know it's
>> still in progress or that someone abandoned the idea?
>
> Common problem with all aspects of open-source work. I have no idea what the
> wiki is supposed to be used for...

IMO, experimental proposals like [1] are perfectly fine on the wiki -
you might want to label it as a "random thought", some projects use
[RT] in email subject lines for this as well, to indicate that it's
something that might happen, or might be totally crazy.

Collecting such proposals under a RandomThoughts page on the wiki
might help make it clearer what they are, and later if they get
implemented they could move to a different place.

I absolutely agree that it's good to keep such things around.

-Bertrand

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Compile-time-data+injection

Re: Wiki usage? (was: Proposal: Compile-time-data injection)

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
I have put the proposal in a Random Thoughts subpage [1].
Enjoy!

yours
Martin.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Random+Thoughts

Re: Wiki usage? (was: Proposal: Compile-time-data injection)

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, February 7, 2012, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>
wrote:
>> On 08/02/2012 02:51, Omar Gonzalez wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if the Wiki is the place for proposals. If we put every
thing
>>> that everyone thinks about in the wiki as a Proposal we are going to
have a
>>> lot of wiki stuff I go through. Who keeps it updated? How de we know
it's
>>> still in progress or that someone abandoned the idea?
>>
>> Common problem with all aspects of open-source work. I have no idea what
the
>> wiki is supposed to be used for...
>
> IMO, experimental proposals like [1] are perfectly fine on the wiki -
> you might want to label it as a "random thought", some projects use
> [RT] in email subject lines for this as well, to indicate that it's
> something that might happen, or might be totally crazy.
>
> Collecting such proposals under a RandomThoughts page on the wiki
> might help make it clearer what they are, and later if they get
> implemented they could move to a different place.
>
> I absolutely agree that it's good to keep such things around.
>
> -Bertrand
>
> [1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Compile-time-data+injection

Cool, I think putting them in a Random Thoughts section makes a lot of
sense and gets rid of my concern of having misleading or out of date info
since its obvious it's just a place to stick ideas that may or may not
happen.

-omar