Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/07/26 20:38:03 UTC

License / Notice files in binary packaging that aggregates several smaller Apache-licensed components

The Apache UIMA project produces several "add-ons", each separately built, each
having appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files.

We also have a binary assembly that takes several of these add-ons, and puts
them together into one binary package, for convenience.

In the past, we have used a process where we prepare the LICENSE and NOTICE file
for this aggregation by manually concatenating the LICENSE files (eliminating
duplicates) to create the assembly LICENSE, and similarly for the NOTICE file.

I think I've seen in other places (non-Apache) that some aggregations do things
like write "Please refer to the individual components for their LICENSE and
NOTICES".   This would certainly make future maintenance of this assembly,
easier.  The assembly top level project itself has nothing in it other than the
assembly instructions and pom boilerplate to make it go; its source is Apache
licensed.

Is that something we can do for our binary assembly of these things?

-Marshall Schor

Re: License / Notice files in binary packaging that aggregates several smaller Apache-licensed components

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

On 8/3/2011 8:22 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 07/26/11 19:38, Marshall Schor wrote:
>> The Apache UIMA project produces several "add-ons", each separately built, each
>> having appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>>
>> We also have a binary assembly that takes several of these add-ons, and puts
>> them together into one binary package, for convenience.
>>
>> In the past, we have used a process where we prepare the LICENSE and NOTICE file
>> for this aggregation by manually concatenating the LICENSE files (eliminating
>> duplicates) to create the assembly LICENSE, and similarly for the NOTICE file.
>>
>> I think I've seen in other places (non-Apache) that some aggregations do things
>> like write "Please refer to the individual components for their LICENSE and
>> NOTICES".   This would certainly make future maintenance of this assembly,
>> easier.  The assembly top level project itself has nothing in it other than the
>> assembly instructions and pom boilerplate to make it go; its source is Apache
>> licensed.
>>
>> Is that something we can do for our binary assembly of these things?
> We're facing a similar problem over at James. I found that many
> dependencies don't include enough information to this plan viable.
>
> I'm working on an automation solution ATM. My hope is this product will
> be in scope for a future Apache Rat TLP.
>
> How does this sound to you?

:-)  -Marshall (a current user of Rat)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.
On 08/06/11 03:54, Marshall Schor wrote:
> Another idea for your automated solution.
>
> Some of our binary packages include Jars from other Apache projects.
>
> These Jars sometimes have within them, often within the META-INF dir, various
> LICENSE / NOTICE files.  One, for example, is this Jar:
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
>       <artifactId>lucene-snowball</artifactId>
>       <version>2.9.3</version>
>     </dependency>
>
> which you can see in
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/lucene-snowball/2.9.3/lucene-snowball-2.9.3.jar
>
> has a special LICENSE and NOTICE file, plus an additional SNOWBALL-LICENSE.txt
>
> I presume that to properly include this Jar in a binary distribution, I have to
> merge all of these LICENSE files (and merge the NOTICE one too).

This is drifting OT for legal discuss. Could we take this over to the
the rat list? We'd all be delighted to hear from you :-)

Robert

Re: License / Notice files in binary packaging that aggregates several smaller Apache-licensed components

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Another idea for your automated solution.

Some of our binary packages include Jars from other Apache projects.

These Jars sometimes have within them, often within the META-INF dir, various
LICENSE / NOTICE files.  One, for example, is this Jar:
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.lucene</groupId>
      <artifactId>lucene-snowball</artifactId>
      <version>2.9.3</version>
    </dependency>

which you can see in
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/lucene-snowball/2.9.3/lucene-snowball-2.9.3.jar

has a special LICENSE and NOTICE file, plus an additional SNOWBALL-LICENSE.txt

I presume that to properly include this Jar in a binary distribution, I have to
merge all of these LICENSE files (and merge the NOTICE one too).

-Marshall

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.