Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Stern <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/11 13:48:36 UTC

Differences of parties - which to use

Hi

I'm playing around with the AP and AR module and for that i need to create
a Party (Customer). So i went to the Party Manager to create a new Customer
which needs both, a first and a last name. This seems to be wrong since
most customers will be companies themselves.

Ofbiz offers me to create one of the following of which i don't fully
understand the differences:
So in the following i will list the options and try to explain my
understanding of it. Please correct me if i'm wrong. Please fill my gaps.

- Create New Party Group
  => Only way to create a company. Can be billed so it looks OK to use it.

- Create New Person
  => Just a person. Don't know what to use it for.

- Create Customer
  => A Person which is a customer. Like a private account in an online
shop. Has an account.

- Create Prospect
  => Don't see much difference to Customer, Maybe a person in the process
of becoming an employee?

- Create Employee
  => Person which is probably linked directly to my company.

>From all of them i can create "party group" and "person". Customer,
prospect and employee can't be created due to the lack of a product store.
I hope AR and AP modules can bi used without a product store since it would
make testing easier.

What i'm trying is simply billing a customer and getting billed by someone.
For this i would like to understand the differences between the choices
above and if / where i can change those later.

I understand that ofbiz uses models from the book "the data modeling
resource book". I've found 3 volumes of that one and i'm not sure which one
to buy. Could you point me to the right book and chapter/page where a can
look this up?

Regards,
Adrian Stern

Re: Differences of parties - which to use

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
I have no idea what that login will be used for. If you don't want a
login for those roles, then use the first two menu options and assign
the roles manually.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com