Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch> on 2011/11/02 09:58:06 UTC

Question Replace Path in Calc

Dear List
I maintain a little database about some results from published
experiments in a calc spreadsheet. To be able to conveniently view the
publication reporting a specific experimental value, I included links to
PDFs on my local machine, such that I can just hit the link and open the
PDF if I need to recall some details about an experimental value.
Something like this:

Energy Name PDF
3.141 C3PO /Users/me/data/c3po.pdf
2.718 R2D2 /Users/me/data/r2d2.pdf
[...]

Now, I had to adjust the directory structure, and so the links are not
exactly correct anymore. The path would now be /Users/me/project/data/*pdf.
How can I adjust the links to this new path? I tried "Spelling, F7", but
it only gives suggestions for the Names, not the links.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Martin

Re: Question Replace Path in Calc

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
Thanks for the further suggestion.

Martin

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
I have replaced part of a formula (using search and replace) just now and it is still a working formula.  If you wish, send me a copy of part of your file and I will run the function on it.
Terry

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
Hallo

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Christoph Jopp <jo...@gmx.de>.
Am 14.11.2011 15:55, schrieb Martin Hediger:
> Yes, but there are separate radio buttions for "Selection" and "Pages"
> in the "Export as PDF" dialog, so there has to be a difference between
> them.

If you have (for instance) a star, a circle and a rectangle on a page
and select the star and the rectangle, only these two are on the
exported page with the "Selection" option.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Re: Make diagrams equal sized

Posted by Dave Babcock <ol...@rochester.rr.com>.
On 12/14/2011 5:19 AM, Martin Hediger wrote:
> Dear List
> I have a spreadsheet with a number of small line diagrams illustraint
> some sets of numbers. How can I make all diagrams appear the same?
> I.e. same x- and y-range. Also, the diagram has something like an
> "outer" boarder that can be adjusted by draging with the mouse, but
> also something like an "inner" boarder, which can be adjusted after
> double-clicking the diagram area. If the inner boarders are not equal
> with two diagrams, then the diagrams will not appear the same, even if
> the outer boarder is the same. How can I synchronize that?
>
> Thanks for any feedback.

I don't know of any clever fixes. I do this every month, almost like
chasing cats at first.
IF you are referring to graphs, I haven't been able to apply
Find-and-Replace and that may apply to "line diagrams" also.
If the graphs are mostly the same, I've had some success with junking
all but one, teasing that one to just the size/shape/colors/line
width/etc I want, then duplicating it as needed, and re-establishing the
data ranges.

Then LOCK the Ht/Wth. Get the positions right (you may be lucky and can
use the Alignment menu for most of the work) and lock them.

This is important: do not Hide rows or columns that intersect the graph
area, and do not make any of those rows or columns greatly wider, even
briefly to see something better.  The positions and SIZES are very
likely to change, and /not/ go back when you do Show.  I'm pretty sure I
have seen this behavior even when everything is locked.

Good luck!
Ol' Bab

Make diagrams equal sized

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
Martin -

Sorry, I didn't mean that there is such a thing but only that there
could be, in response to the comment that such a feature is
'impossible to implement in a way that's useful for many people'.

- Robert

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by floris v <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 10:33 14/11/2011 +0100, Martin Hediger wrote:
>I wonder how I can export a selection from and .odg drawing to PDF.
>When I select a number of elements in the drawing, I choose
>File->Export as PDF, and in the following Dialog I check
>"Selection". However, I always end up with a DIN A4 page with the
>selected elements.

I think the clue is in the "D" in "PDF": that format is designed for
final versions of *documents*, not for the interchange of
elements.  So yes: what you get will always be a document in the
chosen page size.

At 13:11 14/11/2011 +0100, Martin Hediger wrote:
>What I was hoping for was a PDF where only the selected elements
>were present, possibly with some kind of small margin of white
>space. If I draw a 5cm square and export it to PDF because i want to
>include it as a graphics in LaTeX, its not very likely to find a
>paper format for exactly that shape, that's why I'm asking.

I'm not familiar with LaTeX, but it seems that you can include PNG,
JPEG, and GIF images as well.

Try this:
o Select your multiple elements - either by using click and
Shift+click or by dragging the cursor to create a rectangle including
your elements.
o Go to Modify | Convert > | To Bitmap (or right-click | Convert > |
To Bitmap).
o Now go to right-click | Save as Picture... .You can save the
collected elements with the minimum of surrounding space in a wide
range of formats - including PNG, JPEG, and GIF.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Export as PDF

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.
I may be way off target here but why not save the file in a new name ("save as"), amend the new file and export it?

Export as PDF

Re: Calc Table Display Errors

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
Hey, Fred
I just tried your suggestion and the first impression is it makes
everything really better. The scrolling is smooth again, the paining of
the spreadsheet is correct (when I deleted a cell, its content was still
visible).
Maybe this really was the solution, I'll be monitoring it in the
upcoming time.

Thanks in any case for the nice idea.
Martin

Hi

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2011-11-08 5:07 PM  Terry wrote:
> Martin, look in Tools>  Options>  OO.o>  Paths.  Various entries there will show you the location of the profile folder.  Terry

On Macs it is  OpenOffice.org/Preferences/OpenOffice.org/Paths

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Calc Table Display Errors

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
Thanks Scott, wasn't aware of me replying to an existing message.
I'll be checking it out.

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.
On 14/11/2011 06:36, Martin Hediger wrote:
> I was referring to horizontal scrolling indeed, but it is also the same
> vertically.
> In my case, using the scroll bar does still scroll in units of cell
> width or hight. How did you adjust this?

It looks from a quick search that this issue was flagged up years ago
(try googling for something like 'Openoffice Calc smooth scroll' --
turns up eg
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=86184
or  https://bugs.launchpad.net/openoffice/+bug/375395). I didn't notice
a solution.

(Incidentally, when you started your new topic, you replied to an
existing message . It means your query is buried deep in another thread
on another topic, and may not be noticed by some.)

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Re: Scrolling in spreadsheet

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by Fred Juan DIAZ <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Scrolling in spreadsheet

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2011-11-08 3:31 PM  Martin Hediger wrote:
> Am 07.11.11 18:20, schrieb Fred Juan DIAZ:
>> did you try to rename your personal preferences folder and restart OOo ?
>>
>> for example for linux
>> quit OOo
>>   mv .openoffice .openoffice.org .openoffice.org_origin
>> then restart
>>
>> sometimes, it works ....
>>
>> fred
> Do you know how to do the same thing on Mac OS X?
> Martin
/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user

For more information about user profiles see:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426

--
_________________________________

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
No, I haven't but that's something I will try.
Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Posted by Fred Juan DIAZ <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Hediger <ma...@bluewin.ch>.
Just tried it,