Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> on 2007/02/02 10:50:59 UTC

Re: T5: type safe configuration vs all-binding

Kent Tong <kent <at> cpttm.org.mo> writes:

> As Howard and Jesse seem to have reservation about this, I'd like to
> seek the users' opinions on which way they prefer. This may help us
> decide what to do with it. I can see several alternatives:
> 1) Forget about it, if very few users prefer it.
> 2) Let it co-existing with the all-binding style, if some prefer it
> but some don't.
> 3) Use it instead of the all-binding style, if the majority of users
> prefer it.

There haven't been many users expressing their ideas about this. For
those that have, it's about a 50% split. As I think this is a very
useful feature, I'd like to find a place to implement it. Should I
put it into a branch, or a separate 3rd party add-on project hosted
outside Apache?

--
Kent Tong
Author of a book for learning Tapestry (http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT)

Re: T5: type safe configuration vs all-binding

Posted by Nick Westgate <ni...@key-planning.co.jp>.
Hi Kent.

It's an intriguing idea, so I look forward to being able to compare it
to Howard's ideas, even as a 3rd-party add-on. I'm sure others do too.

For me the draw-cards are definitely compile-time validation & completion!

Cheers,
Nick.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I agree, or it could be done as a branch.

I'm not sure how this could be done as an add-on.

The existing components would need to change, to provide a kind of
"configurator" object to invoke setFoo() and bindBar() on.

On 2/2/07, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/2/07, Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo> wrote:
>
> > There haven't been many users expressing their ideas about this. For
> > those that have, it's about a 50% split. As I think this is a very
> > useful feature, I'd like to find a place to implement it. Should I
> > put it into a branch, or a separate 3rd party add-on project hosted
> > outside Apache?
>
> Even if i find my way find with all-binding, why host it outside
> apache? Couldn't it be a subproject for Tapestry itself?
>
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
Creator, Apache HiveMind

Re: T5: type safe configuration vs all-binding

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.