Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/21 19:26:24 UTC

pubsubhubbub

@Ethan: Out of curiosity, how far did you get on your pubsubhubbub
implementation?

D.

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, the problem is that PubSubHubbub is predicated on the existence of a
> feed (either RSS or Atom). I think it would be workable for the API for
> public content,

Yep my thoughts exactly. Public messages could be made available.

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, the problem is that PubSubHubbub is predicated on the existence of a
feed (either RSS or Atom). I think it would be workable for the API for
public content, but otherwise I also see the authentication issue as a big

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We would be a subscriber, though we could conceivably set up actions or
> something else that acts as a publisher as well. It's one of the options
> for
> really stream-ifying the API.

I think an action that publishes would be perfect.

> This would only affect RSS/Atom actions. The way those actions currently
> work is that they poll an RSS feed when they are triggered. We almost
> always
> set them up to run regularly using an "every 5 mins" test, for example.
> PubSubHubbub gets rid of the need to poll at all, since the hub will
> automatically notify the ESME instance every time the feed is updated.
>
> This would kind of change the semantics of the RSS/Atom actions from being
> an action to being more of a test, actually. Interesting. Not sure if this
> is what we want. Does anyone use RSS/Atom actions with a test other than
> "every X mins"?

Doubt it

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.
Ha! That's great. When you say "PubSubHubbub" I say "PSHB" and when you say
"PSHB" I say "PubSubHubbub". Meanwhile, Google says "PUSH". I think I'm
being subconsciously difficult ;-) Please do not be deterred :-)

Ethan

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Richard Hirsch <hi...@gmail.com>.
Sounds way cool - so if I understand PSHB  correctly - we would then be a
subscriber as well as a publisher?  Why I don't completely understand is the
connection to actions? Would there be a PHSB action that sends messages to a

Re: pubsubhubbub

Posted by Ethan Jewett <es...@gmail.com>.