Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Reilly <sf...@roadrunner.com> on 2007/12/15 17:30:35 UTC

[users@httpd] access.log

good morning,

this is not a huge deal, but more frustrating than anything i have
encountered with linux.  i cannot seem to get this right, apache2 cannot
write to access log files in /var/log/apache2/.  the error log is still
churning along fine.  i have checked permissions, all files inside
apache2 folder are all 640, owned by root, and root file group.  the
apache folder itself is owned by root, and root filegroup 640.  i have
custom log directive in virtual server config to create a separate
access log for 4 sites.  it does not even create the custom logs when i
restart apache.  i tried making the logs myself with the correct
permissions, and apache still will not write to them.

as a last resort, i removed apache and reinstalled.......  perfect!
apache was now writing again to the access logs......  BUT for only a
short time then stopped AGAIN!   good lord, what is going on here? I
changed nothing since reinstalling apache2. the only thing i did was re
install php5.

my question is what is the correct permissions for the access.log
itself, and also for the apache2 folder within /var/log?  anything ive
ever read said as long as www-data can write to it, all should be
fine.   its obvious www-data can write to  /var/log/apache2 because it
is doing so with error.log right now.

virtual server config is here  http://pastebin.com/m78d73772

thanks for your help!

steve

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by Steve Reilly <sf...@roadrunner.com>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 15/12/2007, Steve Reilly <sf...@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>>  apache2 cannot write to access log files in /var/log/apache2/
>>

> It sounds like you've just run out of disk space.
>
> Also, there's no need to repeat NameVirtualHost before each of your vhosts.

thanks, ill fix the virtual host repetition, but every partition on this
300 gig hd has more than 80% free. might be something else.

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

--
noodl

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by steve <sf...@roadrunner.com>.
Martin Barry wrote:

> can you show as the output of an 'ls -l' in your log directory?
>
> and the output of 'lsof | grep -i apache' before and after apache stops
> logging?
>

>> sure its not wise to keep removing apache2 and keep re installing it right??
>
> it's not really a workable solution, no. :-)
>
> cheers
> marty

Hi, thanks for the help, appreciate it!   the output of both commands
are here:

http://pastebin.com/m3052cf06

steve

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by Martin Barry <ma...@supine.com>.
$quoted_author = "steve" ;

> http://pastebin.com/m229abd41
>
> sorry, updated to show inside /var/log/apache2

the only thing of note is that the directory /var/log/apache2 has
permissions 740 on your server. my debian install which i haven't touched
has it as 755.

cheers
marty

--
"No GUI for you! Use lynx!!!, Come back, One year!"

/avant

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by steve <sf...@roadrunner.com>.

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by Martin Barry <ma...@supine.com>.
$quoted_author = "steve" ;

> not 100% sure, ive never done it, (using deb etch stock install) before
> i accidentely deleted the logs, there was 28 of them, all but 2 were .gz
> and the other 2 were access.log and access.log.1   the only one apache
> ever wrote to was the .1 one.  i made access.log and access.log.1 but
> apache wrote for a short time to access.log, now does not.  root owns
> the apache2 folder and both logs.  it writes to the error log fine. im

can you show as the output of an 'ls -l' in your log directory?

and the output of 'lsof | grep -i apache' before and after apache stops
logging?

> sure its not wise to keep removing apache2 and keep re installing it right??

it's not really a workable solution, no. :-)

cheers
marty

--
"It takes only one drink to get me drunk. The trouble is, I can't remember
if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth." - George Burns

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by steve <sf...@roadrunner.com>.
Martin Barry wrote:

> does it start working again after you restart apache?

no, it does not.

> is there any pattern to when it stops?
 it logged for about an hour, then stopped...

Re: [users@httpd] access.log

Posted by Martin Barry <ma...@supine.com>.
$quoted_author = "Steve Reilly" ;

> this is not a huge deal, but more frustrating than anything i have
> encountered with linux.  i cannot seem to get this right, apache2 cannot
> write to access log files in /var/log/apache2/.  the error log is still
> churning along fine.  i have checked permissions, all files inside
> apache2 folder are all 640, owned by root, and root file group.  the
> apache folder itself is owned by root, and root filegroup 640.  i have
> custom log directive in virtual server config to create a separate
> access log for 4 sites.  it does not even create the custom logs when i
> restart apache.  i tried making the logs myself with the correct
> permissions, and apache still will not write to them.
>
> as a last resort, i removed apache and reinstalled.......  perfect!
> apache was now writing again to the access logs......  BUT for only a
> short time then stopped AGAIN!   good lord, what is going on here? I
> changed nothing since reinstalling apache2. the only thing i did was re
> install php5.

does it start working again after you restart apache?

is there any pattern to when it stops?

how are your logs being rotated?

cheers
marty

--
"Life's Little Mysteries. Noel Hunter of Chippendale is one of many to be
confused, and amused, by the pair of professionally produced No Regrets

[1] - http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/31/1080544560873.html