Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rikslovein <ri...@gmail.com> on 2010/11/12 13:19:18 UTC

Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Greeting,
I've one apache and two tomcat installed in my server. The communication
happens using AJP 1.3. I'm using the jkmanager URL to activate/deactivate
the tomcat instances. Also, I'm making sure atleast one of the two tomcat
instance is up when other one is down.

The problem is sometimes the client request does go to deactivated tomcat
instance resulting in HTTP 500 error. I want the request to be redirected
only to the active tomcat instance and not the deactivated one.

Please suggest how can I do this.

Regards,
rikslovein

Re: Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Posted by rikslovein <ri...@gmail.com>.
awarnier,

Thanks for your response. I changed this and still it didn't solve my
problem. The request are still reaching to the server which I made down
using jkmanager.

Here's the updated workers.proeprties:
worker.list=loadbal_hub_prod,jkstatus
worker.loadbal_hub_prod.type=lb
worker.loadbal_hub_prod.balance_workers=hub0,hub1
worker.loadbal_hub_prod.sticky_session=false

worker.jkstatus.type=status

worker.list=hub0
worker.hub0.port=8009
worker.hub0.host=localhost
worker.hub0.type=ajp13
worker.hub0.lbfactor=1
#worker.hub0.redirect=hub1

worker.list=hub1
worker.hub1.port=9009
worker.hub1.host=localhost
worker.hub1.type=ajp13
worker.hub1.lbfactor=1
#worker.hub1.redirect=hub0

Regards...

Posted by "Anthony J. Biacco" <ab...@formatdynamics.com>.

> > worker.list=loadbal_hub_prod,jkstatus,hub0,hub1
> >

> This is wrong.  If the workers are already balanced (by the
loadbal_hub_prod
> balancer),
> then they should not be separately listed in worker.list.
> Correct :
> worker.list=loadbal_hub_prod,jkstatus

Well, assuming he doesn't have any mounts pointing specifically to hub0
or hub1. In that case, he's fine.

-Tony

Re: Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Rikslovein,

On 11/15/2010 12:47 AM, rikslovein wrote:
> Server.xml
> <Connector port="8009" address="localhost"
> enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />

Is redirectPort="8443" correct for your environment? This has nothing to
do with your HTTP 500 problems, but it's worth having a clean config.

> workers.properties:
> workers.tomcat_home=/opt/webhost/DWH-Tomcat-Inst/tomcat5.5.23
> workers.java_home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0
> ps=/

Remove the previous 3 properties: they have no effect and clutter your
configuration.

> worker.list=loadbal_hub_prod,jkstatus,hub0,hub1

I don't believe you have to mention hub0 and hub1 directly, here, but it
doesn't hurt.

> worker.hub0.port=8009
> worker.hub0.host=localhost
> worker.hub0.type=ajp13
> worker.hub0.lbfactor=1
> worker.hub0.redirect=hub1
>
> worker.hub1.port=9009
> worker.hub1.host=localhost
> worker.hub1.type=ajp13
> worker.hub1.lbfactor=1
> worker.hub1.redirect=hub0

Check out the "worker.XXX.reference" property: it will save you some
typing and help maintain consistency across lb workers.

What version of mod_jk are you currently using? Actually... what
versions of /everything/ are you using?

> worker.jkstatus.type=status
>
> worker.loadbal_hub_prod.type=lb
> worker.loadbal_hub_prod.balanced_workers=hub0,hub1
> worker.loadbal_hub_prod.sticky_session=false

I notice that you don't have any strategy for determining availability
of workers configured (ping_mode). You might want to look at those
options to determine what is appropriate for your environment.

I see that the sticky_session_force directive can result in a 500 error
being returned to a user who is trying to access a balanced worker in an
error state. I also see that you have sticky_session=false and the
sticky_session_force setting should be irrelevant. Is it possible that
your configuration file isn't actually being used? Try introducing a
syntax error into workers.properties and seeing if mod_jk complains
about it on startup.

Can you show us what the status worker says when you find that 500

- -chris

Re: Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Posted by rikslovein <ri...@gmail.com>.
Chris & all,

Thanks for your help and your responses once again. I now solved the
problem. The problem was with the jkmanager URL I was using in the code.

I think there is a change in URL attributes from older version. The current
version uses vwa, vwr and vwf (which was coded as wa, wr & wf respectively).
I'm not sure on this but i saw them working on Unix where we have quite
older version of Apache and Tomcat installed. Please confirm on this if you
have any info.

The jkmanager URL i was using previously and the changed URL is given below:

Older URL (Works in Unix): -
http://localhost/jkmanager/?cmd=update&w=loadbal_hub_prod&sw=hub1&wf=1&wr=hub0&wa=2&mime=txt

Changed URL (Working fine now on Linux): -
http://localhost/jkmanager/?cmd=update&w=loadbal_hub_prod&sw=hub1&vwf=1&vwr=hub0&vwa=2&mime=txt

Thanks a lot again.

Regards.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Using mod_jk in cluster environment responds HTTP 500

Posted by rikslovein <ri...@gmail.com>.
Chris,

Also one more information:

None of my tomcat is configured with HTTP connector. They are configured
only for AJP. Does the jkmanager requires this HTTP port? Any relation
between the non-SSL HTTP connector and jkmanager?

Regards.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.