Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de> on 2019/01/28 08:34:48 UTC

[VOTE] Initial release Felix Health Check Annotations 2.0.0, Health Check API 2.0.0, Health Check Core 2.0.0, Health Check General Checks 2.0.0, Health Check Webconsole Plugin 2.0.0

Hi all,

We solved 11 issues in this release:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=issuekey%20in%20(FELIX-6024%2CFELIX-6025%2CFELIX-6017%2CFELIX-6018%2CFELIX-6016%2CFELIX-6012%2CFELIX-6011%2CFELIX-6010%2CFELIX-6005%2CFELIX-6004%2CFELIX-5952)
(@PMC: Could you please create the versions for this and next release in
JIRA for the 5 modules?)

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-1279/

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
signatures:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh

Usage:
sh check_staged_release.sh 1279 /tmp/felix-staging

Please vote to approve this release:

[ ] +1 Approve the release

This vote will be open for 72 hours.

-Georg

Re: [VOTE] Initial release Felix Health Check Annotations 2.0.0, Health Check API 2.0.0, Health Check Core 2.0.0, Health Check General Checks 2.0.0, Health Check Webconsole Plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi Ray,

so I did mention the "2.x.x " approach in the initial ticket and it
hasn't change since then [1]. But I know it's hard to always keep track
of all JIRA comments.

>  but I feel this is not a great approach to take.

So to me it really boils down to not counting down when moving forward
for people upgrading the health checks - it would feel awkward if you
had 1.0.2 and then you use 1.0.0 again (especially because there are no
changes to the API pending, that version might well be around for a year
or two). Also for the people not knowing the history of the move and
just looking at maven GAVs, it would always look like "sling hc api
1.0.2 is probably newer than felix hc api 1.0.0" - with the version
2.0.0 people purely looking at the GAV will have a clear direction (e.g.
if they have two projects with HCs, one upgraded already and the other
not yet)

Another example is the OSGi compendium that also did not go back down to
a 1.0.0 version after the artifact id change to "osgi.cmpn" [2]

-Georg

[1]
"Removed deprecated methods like HealthCheckExecutor.execute(String...
tags) and using version 2.x.x for both maven and OSGi packages as
starting point in Felix now"
from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-5952?focusedCommentId=16643281&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16643281

[2]
https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.osgi%20AND%20a:org.osgi.compendium&core=gav
https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.osgi%20AND%20a:osgi.cmpn&core=gav

Posted by Raymond Auge <ra...@liferay.com>.
I think the version 2.0.0 is weird when this is a new project in the
org.apache.felix namespace.

It doesn't matter that it previously had a higher version in some other
namespace.

I really recommend just making this either a 0.1.0 or 1.0.0 release. I will
not vito the release or anything if it comes down to it but I feel this is
not a great approach to take.

Sincerely,
- Ray

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
> [...]

> >> easy for 99% of the checks that exist.
> >>
> >> In the migration guide in Sling that I will write I don't think I can
> >> ask people to change from stable version Sling HC API 1.0.2 to a Felix
> >> API "preview version" 0.1.0. Also, maintaining Sling HCs and Felix HCs
> >> in parallel for some time is the worst of all options IMHO.
> >>
> >> So this really leaves us to push forward with Felix HC API 2.0.0 - if
> >> we
> >> find valid reasons to make changes we'll just bump versions according
> >> semantic versioning.
> >>
> >> -Georg
> >>
> >> [1] https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-hc-api

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=issuekey%20in%20(FELIX-6024%2CFELIX-6025%2CFELIX-6017%2CFELIX-6018%2CFELIX-6016%2CFELIX-6012%2CFELIX-6011%2CFELIX-6010%2CFELIX-6005%2CFELIX-6004%2CFELIX-5952)

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
With the 0.1.0 release we now have the chance to look into the API without
too much hurry.
So lets check if we would like to have bigger changes but we should not
hold off a stable release for too long.

I think aiming for a stable release in 1-2 weeks should be realistic.

About the release version I do not care too much. For me the main thing to
get right is the package version of the api
as this is what must be semantically versioned.

After writing that I thought it is better to actually check in the 0.1.0
release .. The package version stayed at 2.0.0 .. will have to revert my
vote.

Christian

Am Fr., 1. Feb. 2019 um 14:40 Uhr schrieb Andrei Dulvac <du...@apache.org>:

> Hi Georg.
>
> I don't want to get into a flaming debate about versioning. I've seen on
> the internet what happens.
>
> > So to me it really boils down to not counting down when moving forward
> for
> people upgrading the health checks - it would feel awkward if you had 1.0.2
> and then you use 1.0.0 again
>
> It makes no sense to me, sorry. The namespace is different, it's a
> different lib. The migration path would not be affected at all by this.
> I've seen multiple libraries migrate and reset the version space, which
> makes a lot of sense. (To me, actually having the same version as the sling
> one would be confusing if I needed to migrate, but that's my own view. The
> only libs I've seen that do that are libs with mocks)
>
> > Also the Sling API has been stable for long (Bertrand has done a great
> job
> initially designing it), why would it be all the sudden not good  anymore?
>
> It's at 2.0.0, so well... 1.0.0 wasn't perfect :). But joke aside... I
> expect the need to change the API. What's the purpose of moving the HCs to
> Felix? Broadening the scope, right? This comes with different needs than
> before.
>
> As Ray said, it's weird. Someone might be tempted to release versions in
> sync of the one in sling and the one in felix and that would be a big no-no
> for me.
>
> - Andrei
>
> On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 2:07 PM Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de> wrote:
>

> > I'm taking the hat of the many developers out there in the world that
> > use the API (the ones we cannot talk to and that do not read this
> > mailing list) - 2.0.0 it is to not confuse them. See my response from
> > this morning [1]
> >
> > Also the Sling API has been stable for long (Bertrand has done a great
> > job initially designing it), why would it be all the sudden not good
> > anymore?
> >
> > -Georg
> >
> > [1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@felix.apache.org/msg47690.html
> >
> > On 2019-02-01 14:00, Andrei Dulvac wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > (Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to look over it properly)
> > >
> > > I'd just like to say I agree with Christian and Ray - a 2.0.0 initial
> > > release is not only weird, but confusing. Why?
> > > I support doing 0.X.0 releases until the api is proven to be stable and
> > > then release *1.0.0*. Why 2.0.0?
> > >
> > > - Andrei

> potentially

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-1279/

> us

> potentially

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Posted by Andrei Dulvac <du...@apache.org>.
Hi Georg.

Posted by Andrei Dulvac <du...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Georg Henzler <fe...@ghenzler.de>.
Hi Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
How about releasing 0.1.0 now and release a 2.0.0 in two weeks?
It would give people time to test the new project and still allow us to do
incompatible changes.

A release of 2.0.0 right now will fixate the API. If we then do a
(incompatible) change we have to create a 3.0.0 version which will confuse
users that switched early.

I also rather propose to name the first major release 1.0.0 but this is not
really important.

Christian

Am Do., 31. Jan. 2019 um 17:18 Uhr schrieb Georg Henzler <felix@ghenzler.de
>:

> Hi Christian,
>
> I think the API [1] is proven and in use since 2013 (I would guess >
> 2000 checks to exist out in the wild in code bases of various projects).
> The Felix API was carefully adjusted with your feedback (e.g. the
> removal of state DEBUG, FELIX-6016) to make the migration path really
> easy for 99% of the checks that exist.
>
> In the migration guide in Sling that I will write I don't think I can
> ask people to change from stable version Sling HC API 1.0.2 to a Felix
> API "preview version" 0.1.0. Also, maintaining Sling HCs and Felix HCs
> in parallel for some time is the worst of all options IMHO.
>
> So this really leaves us to push forward with Felix HC API 2.0.0 - if we
> find valid reasons to make changes we'll just bump versions according
> semantic versioning.
>
> -Georg
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-hc-api
>

> On 2019-01-31 16:30, Christian Schneider wrote:
> > I think we should not yet release a stable version. Instead I propose
> > release a 0.1.0.
> > WDYT?
> >
> > Christian
> >

> > Am Mo., 28. Jan. 2019 um 09:44 Uhr schrieb Georg Henzler
> > <felix@ghenzler.de
> >> :
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> We solved 11 issues in this release:
> >>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=issuekey%20in%20(FELIX-6024%2CFELIX-6025%2CFELIX-6017%2CFELIX-6018%2CFELIX-6016%2CFELIX-6012%2CFELIX-6011%2CFELIX-6010%2CFELIX-6005%2CFELIX-6004%2CFELIX-5952)
> >> (@PMC: Could you please create the versions for this and next release
> >> in
> >> JIRA for the 5 modules?)
> >>
> >> Staging repository:
> >> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-1279/
> >>
> >> You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
> >> signatures:
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh
> >>
> >> Usage:
> >> sh check_staged_release.sh 1279 /tmp/felix-staging
> >>
> >> Please vote to approve this release:
> >>
> >> [ ] +1 Approve the release
> >> [ ] -1 Veto the release (please provide specific comments)
> >>
> >> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
> >>
> >> -Georg
> >>

> > --

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Computer Scientist
http://www.adobe.com

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I think we should not yet release a stable version. Instead I propose to
release a 0.1.0.
WDYT?

Christian

Am Mo., 28. Jan. 2019 um 09:44 Uhr schrieb Georg Henzler <felix@ghenzler.de
>:

> Hi all,
>
> We solved 11 issues in this release:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=issuekey%20in%20(FELIX-6024%2CFELIX-6025%2CFELIX-6017%2CFELIX-6018%2CFELIX-6016%2CFELIX-6012%2CFELIX-6011%2CFELIX-6010%2CFELIX-6005%2CFELIX-6004%2CFELIX-5952)
> (@PMC: Could you please create the versions for this and next release in
> JIRA for the 5 modules?)
>
> Staging repository:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachefelix-1279/

> signatures:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/check_staged_release.sh
>
> Usage:
> sh check_staged_release.sh 1279 /tmp/felix-staging
>
> Please vote to approve this release:
>
> [ ] +1 Approve the release
>
> This vote will be open for 72 hours.
>
> -Georg