Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com> on 2008/04/13 13:36:38 UTC

continuous integration server

Hi,

Which continuous integration server would you recommend me?

Continuum? Or is there also a version by sonatype in the making?! :-)

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: continuous integration server

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Peter Horlock
<pe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Which continuous integration server would you recommend me?
>
>  Continuum? Or is there also a version by sonatype in the making?! :-)

We have been using CruiseControl (since July 2007), some of the other
CI tools weren't really ready then.

There are lots of things that I would like to have but just getting CI
up and running is more important.

Some things you may want to consider:
* If Project B depends on Project A and A is rebuilt, does B get rebuilt?
* If B and A are in the list of projects to get rebuilt, is A rebuilt
first to avoid false build failures on B (because the changes in A are
not yet available)
* Trend analysis (having just looked at hudson this appears to do what
I want and is quite nice)

As someone suggested, your probably going to have to invest some time
and play with these tools and come to your own conclusion.

Re: continuous integration server

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 13-Apr-08, at 8:52 AM, Olivier Dehon wrote:
> How about handling of maven2 project releases? Does it integrate
> nicely
> with the release plugin?

There's nothing magical about configuring Hudson to fire off any set
of plugins with any goals. We do on demand builds and releases with
Hudson though this is more in the realm of a build server. We also
don't use the release plugin across the board because it's doesn't
work flawlessly with many SCMs other then subversion. So a lot of
times I know our clients must roll something of their own and Hudson
works great for this.

> And also, one point of concern is the security and roles management
> (who
> can deploy/force builds/release per project?

There is authentication, but honestly I deal with some of the largest
IT environments and they care more that it works. We've worked around
any security concern putting Apache in front of it and use one of the
security modules. But I know from talking with James Dumay that
working with Redback is no great pleasure talking with him about his
experiences in trying to plug Redback into Crowd. Generally using
mod_authz_ldap with some groups and you can do what you need to do.
That's not to say that rbac like control isn't a good thing to have
but people prefer the general system work first, which Hudson does
better then anything else IMO.

> I have been using Continuum for about a year without too many issues
> and
> it deals with all that nicely, does Hudson provide those features?
>
> Reading from the doc links below, it appeared to me Hudson was less
> well
> integrated for Maven 2 projects?
>
> Am I wrong?

The Maven integration is so-so but that's changing everyday. I know
from my vantage point Hudson is the only system I will provide
commercial support for at Sonatype because the battle is over. Hudson
won by making developers  lives' easier. Kohsuke will go to no end to
make things easier for users. He wrote a JNI tool so that people using
ActiveDirectory wouldn't have to login all over the place. The other
very cool thing was the use of Winstone in creating the easiest way to
get a system up and running anyone has ever seen. These are the types
of things Kohsuke will do and it brings other really good developers
to the table. Tom is now doing some very cool things with Hudson for
automated artifact promotion and Continuum certainly doesn't do that
and if you ask a development organization if they wanted automated
promotion models or security, they would take the automated promotion
models. Along with all the other cool things in Hudson. Just that it
has a real plugin model makes a world of difference because it truly
is extensible like Maven.

What's important is that it continues to work which is why people are
flocking to Hudson. We actually use the freestyle builds with our
Maven projects and though that takes a few minutes to setup in the
long run it just works.

At any rate I guarantee you that inside 3 months Hudson will have the
best Maven integration of any CI/Build Server there is.

> -Olivier
>
> On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 16:34 +0200, Tom Huybrechts wrote:
>> Kohsuke keeps it simple, yet very powerful. You can have Hudson
>> installed and your first build running within minutes.
>> If you need customization, it is also incredibly easy to extend via
>> plugins.
>>
>> Just try it, you'll never look back...
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Peter Horlock
>> <pe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> could you tell me your reason why you prefer hudson?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Peter

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Selfish deeds are the shortest path to self destruction.

-- The Seven Samuari, Akira Kirosawa

Re: continuous integration server

Posted by Olivier Dehon <od...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Horlock <pe...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1 on hudson

netbeans.org is using it as well at
http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson

Milos

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
Springs Bamboo seems to be working fine :)

James

Posted by Gregory Kick <gk...@gmail.com>.

<ma...@markit.com> wrote:
> Has anyone looked at Bamboo?

Gregory Kick
http://kickstyle.net/
i kno

Re: continuous integration server

Posted by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de>.
Matthew Tordoff wrote:
> Has anyone looked at Bamboo?

We have used Bamboo for Mule for quite some time now. The setup seems to
be easy (haven't done it) and the day to day operations are supported by
the UI, too.

The only (big) boo that came up in the whole time we used it was that
Bamboo 1.x used to store the entire build log in memory before writing
it out in XML at the end of the build. This caused frequent OOMs with
our build as it can generate quite a bit of log output.

This should be fixed with Bamboo 2.0 now.

For my private pet projects I use Hudson and while Bamboo has some
concepts that Hudson doesn't have (e.g. Build queues) I like Hudson's
approach of extensibility by plugins, e.g. I use the findbugs plugin as
part of the build and have Hudson pick up the XML files and render neat
timelines of bug increase/decrease etc.

-dirk

RE: continuous integration server

Posted by "Sommers, Elizabeth" <So...@Pragmatics.com>.
I run an instance for TDD.  I run another instance for build and release
(proprietary maven plugins).  I run another instance for delivery (more
maven plugins). I then run metrics (yet more plugins) on two instances.
All together I run 8 instances on 4 different machines.  Works well for
us and got us to CMMI level 4 while still working agile.

Posted by Gregory Kick <gk...@gmail.com>.
@Liz

<So...@pragmatics.com> wrote:
> I use Vulcan.  I like the fact that I can run multiple instances of it
>  in the same tomcat.  It also does everything I need in a CI server.
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/vulcan/
>
>  Liz Sommers
>  sommerse@pragmatics.com

Gregory Kick
http://kickstyle.net/

RE: continuous integration server

Posted by Mayank Gupta <ma...@globallogic.com>.
We also use quickbuild and we do an end to end build automation using
this. It starts from tagging to compilation, packaging, moving
deliverables to release area, creation of release notes and pushing the
same in wiki format, auto deployment in staging environments, automated
testing and effective communication.

Regards,
Mayank

Posted by "Prystash,John" <pr...@oclc.org>.

Posted by Jared Blitzstein <te...@blitzstein.net>.

Posted by Adam <pu...@gmail.com>.

<te...@blitzstein.net> wrote:
> Just an FYI, bamboo 2.0 went live today. I've looked at both Continuum,
> Bamboo, Hudson, and Team City. I've hit some weird issues with Hudson that I
> couldn't work out (note: the author was willing to lend a hand but I didn't
> have enough time) and had to just move on, but it built 4 out of 5 of my
> projects no problem. I'm currently playing with Bamboo and it seems to fit
> well for my needs. I would recommend giving each of them a few hours of play
> time and coming up with your own opinion, but ultimately I'm going with
> Bamboo (Team City would be my next choice followed closely by a revisit to
> Hudson). I definitely wasn't a fan of Continuum, but I also haven't looked
> at it in a while
>

>  On Apr 15, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Matthew Tordoff wrote:
>

> > Has anyone looked at Bamboo?

Adam Altemus
MobilVox, Inc.
http://www.mobilvox.com

RE: continuous integration server

Posted by Ben Lidgey <be...@inuknetworks.com>.
We are currently using CruiseControl. I know it is the Granddaddy of them all in some ways, but it seems flexible in the builds. I like the way with CC that the config can be controlled in SVN, so that if someone wanted to recreate the installation they can check it out from SVN and away they go. Also the config.xml can be monitored as a build itself.

The downsides I suppose are that the basic GUI isn't so flashy and while there is tool support for editing the config.xml I prefer to edit it by hand (perhaps that says more about me than CC...). I did write a plugin to integrate with our Nabaztag rabbit though which was easy to do. At the time (a year ago or so) I looked at Continuum and Hudson, and while both seemed quite good they were still in their infancy. Things may have changed so I would echo the comment from Jared about having a look around.

Ben

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author. If you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that any use, dissemination, printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

Re: continuous integration server

Posted by Jared Blitzstein <te...@blitzstein.net>.

Posted by Matthew Tordoff <ma...@markit.com>.
Has anyone looked at Bamboo?

Posted by Tom Huybrechts <to...@gmail.com>.
Hudson, without a doubt.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Hudson.

It just works. Kohsuke is dedicated, releases often and the community
is thriving. With clients we have seen everything, and tried
everything and Hudson has proven to the most reliable, easiest to
setup, and the hardest to knock down. It just uses the file system, no
databases or external resources as such it is simple which allows it
to easily support multi-node setups.

On 13-Apr-08, at 4:36 AM, Peter Horlock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which continuous integration server would you recommend me?
>
> Continuum? Or is there also a version by sonatype in the making?! :-)
>

> Thanks in advance,
>

> Peter

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

-- Unknown