Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/10 06:39:48 UTC

Re: Log4j branding (was: Logging web site)

I agree very much with actions that make Log4j 2 more visible and
accessible. It is important to consistently communicate the message that
Log4j 1 is the old, legacy, End Of Life library and that we encourage
everyone to move to Log4j 2.

However, it would be a mistake to try to start rebranding Log4j 2 as just
Log4j now. We have been marketing Log4j 2 as the new thing that makes Log4j
cool again. This has been fairly successful. "Log4j 2" has been gaining
recognition and traction in social media and places like StackOverflow.

I think we need to stay consistent with our message. "Log4j 2 is NOT the
Log4j that you knew." "Log4j 2 is different and better than the old Log4j."
"You liked Logback because you were disappointed with Log4j? Try Log4j 2
and be pleasantly suprised!". Etc.

I strongly think that it will be easier to raise awareness of Log4j 2 and
to get people to migrate away from Log4j 1 if we keep the "2" in the name.

Remko