Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Alexander Koeppe <fo...@perl-community.de> on 2006/09/29 18:38:14 UTC

[mp2] problems with path attribute of HTML::Template

Hi List,

I've observed a problem with mod_perl2 and HTML::Template VERSION: 2.8.
If I create a new template object with
my $template = HTML::Template->new(
       filename => "menu.html",
       path => [
          "/path/to/templates",
          "/also/path/to/templates"
       ]
    );

and restart Apache only the first path is left in the path array and
only templates in that directory will be found.

If I start that script without mod_perl2, all items are in the path
array and also templates in the second directory will be found.

Could someone help me with that problem.

Greets

Alex

Re: [mp2] problems with path attribute of HTML::Template

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.
On Sep 29, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Alexander Koeppe wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I've observed a problem with mod_perl2 and HTML::Template VERSION:
> 2.8.
> If I create a new template object with
> my $template = HTML::Template->new(
>       filename => "menu.html",
>       path => [
>          "/path/to/templates",
>          "/also/path/to/templates"
>       ]
>    );
>
> and restart Apache only the first path is left in the path array
> and only templates in that directory will be found.
>
> If I start that script without mod_perl2, all items are in the path
> array and also templates in the second directory will be found.

i don't have an exact answer, but I have two suggestions:

first suggestion:

	try using a Data Dumper trace under both environments, and see if
any of the internal vars are different
	i get tired of dealing with the Data::Dumper internals and methods,
so i just keep a dumb class around for this stuff...
		my   $dumper= dumpObj->new();
			$dumper->{'template'}= $template;
			$dumper->__DUMP__();

secondly-
	never 'restart' apache under modperl.  always do a stop/start.
you'll encounter unnecessary memory growth with a restart.

========
package dumpObj;
sub new  {
	my  $proto= $_[0];
	my  $class= ref($proto) || $proto;
	my  $self= bless ( {} , $class );
	return $self;
}
sub __DUMP__ {
	my  ( $self )= @_;
	print STDERR "\n==================== DUMPING \n";
	print STDERR (ref $self) . "\n";
	use Data::Dumper();
	print STDERR Data::Dumper->Dump( [$self] , [qw(self)] );
	print STDERR "\n==================== DONE \n";
	return 1;
}

// Jonathan Vanasco