Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Arthur Dent <mi...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2010/01/29 17:10:24 UTC

AnyBounce Problem

Hello all,

This mail http://pastebin.com/m3d60d066 was generated automatically by
my gmail calendar as a reminder message.

Clearly it doesn't trip the spam-o-meter (scores 0.2), but I have a
procmail recipe the puts "ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" into a quarantine folder.

I can't for the life of me work out why it is hitting the any-bounce
plugin.

Any suggestions as to what to do to prevent similar reminder messages
from hitting the bounce plugin?

I guess I could refine the procmail recipe to say only quarantine if
"ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" and NOT from myaddress@googlemail.com or something
similar - but that feels a bit like a kludge.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Re: AnyBounce Problem

Posted by Arthur Dent <mi...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 21:41 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 21:23 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> > > Workaround: remove the "__AUTO_GEN_AS||" from the
> > > __BOUNCE_AUTO_GENERATED meta rule in 20_vbounce.cf which you can find
> > > on your server via:
> >
> > *Never* edit stock rule files, unless absolutely necessary. And please
> > never give that advice either. :)
>
>   meta __AUTO_GEN_AS  0
>
> > in your local.cf or other site config has the same effect.
>
> Doh!  *meta*, not score as I just posted. We don't intend to give that
> non-scoring sub-rule a score, but to re-define and overwrite the rule
> itself, effectively disabling it and never have it evaluate to true.
>
> Thanks Jeff Mincy for pointing that out off-list. :)
>

> Maybe I should creep back under the stone I've been hiding under the
> last few weeks...

:)

Well thank you chaps - both of you - I have put this in my local.cf and
tested creating a calendar alert and... it works!

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Mark

Re: AnyBounce Problem

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.

Re: AnyBounce Problem

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
> Workaround: remove the "__AUTO_GEN_AS||" from the
> __BOUNCE_AUTO_GENERATED meta rule in 20_vbounce.cf which you can find
> on your server via:

*Never* edit stock rule files, unless absolutely necessary. And please
never give that advice either. :)

  score __AUTO_GEN_AS  0

in your local.cf or other site config has the same effect.

> (If that has no hits, please start using sa-update.  In the meanwhile,
> it lives in /usr/share/spamassassin.  How do you like those
> FH_DATE_PAST_20XX mails?)

The sample doesn't show that rule hit.

Re: AnyBounce Problem

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.
Arthur Dent wrote:
> This mail http://pastebin.com/m3d60d066 was generated automatically
> by my gmail calendar as a reminder message.
>
> Clearly it doesn't trip the spam-o-meter (scores 0.2), but I have a
> procmail recipe the puts "ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE" into a quarantine
> folder.

I recommend altering that filter to exclude "ALL_TRUSTED" messages
from that query's hits so you can get your genuine bounces faster.

> I can't for the life of me work out why it is hitting the
> any-bounce plugin.

It hits __AUTO_GEN_AS which is a dependency of __BOUNCE_AUTO_GENERATED
which is a dependency of BOUNCE_MESSAGE which is a dependency of
ANY_BOUNCE_MESSAGE.

__AUTO_GEN_AS was removed from spamassassin 3.3.0, presumably for
false positives like this.

> Any suggestions as to what to do to prevent similar reminder
> messages from hitting the bounce plugin?

Solution:  upgrade to 3.3.0

Workaround: remove the "__AUTO_GEN_AS||" from the
__BOUNCE_AUTO_GENERATED meta rule in 20_vbounce.cf which you can find
on your server via:

spamassassin --lint -D config 2>&1 |grep vbounce.cf