Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vinod tomcat <to...@yahoo.co.in> on 2001/08/28 13:19:39 UTC

confusion

hi friends,

 can anybody help me ..i m in fix ..

  1. some body said me that containts of work
directiory in tomcat are generated automatically and
normal functionaing of a site dosent get affected if
all class files in work directiory are deleted . is
this true ???

 even if i delete all class files in work ,
application works fine ??  please help me...

 2. if i make any change to any jsp file , do i need
to delete the class files of work directiory ???
somebody said me so ..is this necesssery to make
changes effect ??

thanks

Re: confusion

Posted by asheesh <as...@q2aindia.com>.
>   1. some body said me that containts of work
> directiory in tomcat are generated automatically and
> normal functionaing of a site dosent get affected if
> all class files in work directiory are deleted . is
> this true ???
>
>  even if i delete all class files in work ,
> application works fine ??  please help me...

I am not sure about but in my case it works, as i feel that container at
runtime generates .class files in this directory, so no harm in deleting
those class files.

>  2. if i make any change to any jsp file , do i need
> to delete the class files of work directiory ???
> somebody said me so ..is this necesssery to make
> changes effect ??

U got to delete the corresponding class files from the works directory.But
not all the time. Also check ur server.xml for the following
<Context path="/examples" docBase="webapps/yourapplication" debug="0"
reloadable="true" >

good luck
asheesh

Re: confusion

Posted by asheesh <as...@q2aindia.com>.
Posted by yilmaz <yi...@hwajet.com.tw>.
hi peter !
your classpath seems wrong
it should at least include  <tomcat_home>\lib\servlet.jar;
regards :)
Posted by John Clark Naldoza y Lopez <nj...@ntsp.nec.co.jp>.
peter wrote:

> hi there
>
> I'm new to tomcat.  I've just downlaoded, installed and set up tomcat for
> win98 using the user guide provided.  However, when i try to run tomcat in
> the dos window i get several out of environment space lines and  a message
> saying...
>
> Unable to set classpath dynamically
> To set the CLASSPATH dynamically on winx systems
> only DOS 8.3 names may be used in TOMCAT_HOME
>
> setting classpath statically
>
> more out of environment space lines
>
> Using CLASSPATH: c:\tomcat\classes
>
> Out of environment space
> Starting tomcat in new window
> Bad command or file name
>
> I've made the following settings in my autoexec.bat file:
>
> set TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tomcat
> set JAVA_HOME=c:\jdk1.3
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter

Hi,

I believe it would be necessary to increase the amount of memory your
dos shell can use...  Perhaps you could try to search through the mail
archives to find out where it is exactly...;-)

Cheers,

John Clark

--
     /) John Clark Naldoza y Lopez                           (\
    / )    Software Design Engineer III                      ( \

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work
done"
--Linus Torvalds

classpath problem

Re: confusion

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
ok - hang on a second... no need for the caps... in case you weren't
aware, caps are interpreted as SHOUTING and is considered rude.

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, [iso-8859-1] vinod tomcat wrote:

>    1.  IF I UPDATE ANY JSP FILE AND UPLOAD , DO I NEED
> TO MAKE ANY CHANGES WITH WORK DIRECT. SOME BODY TOLD
> ME THAT I WILL HAVE TO DELETE THE CONCERNED .CLASS
> FILES ???

no.  Tomcat will detect that the .jsp file is newer than the .java (or
.class - not sure, doesn't matter) file and recompile it.

>    2. IF I MAKE CHANGES WITH THE ANY CONFIGURATION
> FILE ...DO I NEED TO MAKE ANY CHANGES WITH ANY OTHER
> FILE ... I HAD REPLACED THE SERVER.XML FILE AS IT WAS
> CORRUPTED ..BUT NOW I M GETTING ERROR..

If you change configuration files, you will (afaik) need to restart tomcat
for the changes to take effect.

What is the error you are getting with your server.xml?

cheers
dim

Re: confusion

Posted by vinod tomcat <to...@yahoo.co.in>.