Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tom Gioconda <to...@hotmail.com> on 2001/05/25 01:58:21 UTC

forced win32 mod_perl

My company, to my objections, recently decided to force all of our new
servers to running only Win2k.  I won't go into the details, but let's just
say that in our standard hosting facilities, nothing runing Linux is allowed
anymore.  This kinds of screws my department, as we have just finished
development on a Linux/Apache solution tied heavily into mod_perl for a
support web site.

This leaves me with few options:
1) Run Apache/win32 and mod_perl.
2) Run IIS 5 and use an ISAPI handler to hook into my perl code.

Could anyone help me out here?  The first option is bad because of
mod_perl's reduced functionality on win32 in version 1.25 (no threads, to my
understanding).  Option 2 is evil because I'd have to figure out some way to
get an ISAPI extension to call perl code in a multithreaded way, and I'd
have to use IIS.

Am I stuck waiting for Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 to get to a point where
they'll work in a production environment, or am I simply screwed and have to
work around my company's dumb decree?  Any help would be appreciated,
although no comments on my company's IT policies, please... :)

-Tom

Re: forced win32 mod_perl

Posted by Chris Winters <ch...@cwinters.com>.
* Tom Gioconda (tomachronos@hotmail.com) [010524 20:06]:
> My company, to my objections, recently decided to force all of our new
> servers to running only Win2k.  I won't go into the details, but let's just
> say that in our standard hosting facilities, nothing runing Linux is allowed
> anymore.  This kinds of screws my department, as we have just finished
> development on a Linux/Apache solution tied heavily into mod_perl for a
> support web site.
>
> This leaves me with few options:
> 1) Run Apache/win32 and mod_perl.
> 2) Run IIS 5 and use an ISAPI handler to hook into my perl code.
>
> Could anyone help me out here?  The first option is bad because of
> mod_perl's reduced functionality on win32 in version 1.25 (no threads, to my
> understanding).  Option 2 is evil because I'd have to figure out some way to
> get an ISAPI extension to call perl code in a multithreaded way, and I'd
> have to use IIS.
>
> Am I stuck waiting for Apache 2 and mod_perl 2 to get to a point where
> they'll work in a production environment, or am I simply screwed and have to
> work around my company's dumb decree?  Any help would be appreciated,
> although no comments on my company's IT policies, please... :)

ActiveState sells a (IMO) cheap solution for just this sort of thing:
PerlEx. (http://www.activestate.com/perlex/)

Chris

--
Chris Winters (chris@cwinters.com)
Building enterprise-capable snack solutions since 1988.