Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com> on 2003/06/02 12:44:44 UTC

HDF status

I just wanted to keep everyone up to date, I wasn't able to finish adding
the writing component of HDF this past weekend. I worked on it all weekend
but there just isn't enough time in the day. The good news is that progress
is being made.

Ryan

Re: HDF status

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org>.
indeed! much better that way.

Avik Sengupta <av...@apache.org>

Re: HDF status

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 11:06:40 -0400

> > HDF = Hemodiafiltration?? ;-)
> http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/HBDOCS/hdf.html

Wow.. I see. I don't have to take a nephrectomy ;-)

> > What's "HWPF"? ... acronym of "Horrible Word Processor Format"?
<snip>
> Now I just figure, its too late to change, best be consistent.  Even if it
> makes your and my job a little bit harder as open source marketeers of
> sorts.. ;-)  (oh god...did I just say that....I'm going to go wash my
> fingertips off)

Ahaha. Take it easy. Just use "Horrible"
as jargon, secret language. And officially (in business) announce
"Oh! it is acronym of 'Highlevel Word Processor Format'"
or something ;-)  ... with evident sarcasm

Cheers,

E-mail: kitahata@bb.mbn.or.jp

Re: HDF status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
On 6/2/03 10:16 AM, "Tetsuya Kitahata" <te...@nifty.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:05:54 -0400
> (Subject: Re: HDF status)
> "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Create something Peer to HDF and come up with another cleaver acronym.  This
>> time lets check Google to see if its taken.  Maybe "HWPF" or something.  (We
>> need to change the name of HDF anyhow)
>
> HDF = Hemodiafiltration?? ;-)

http://eosweb.larc.nasa.gov/HBDOCS/hdf.html

> What's "HWPF"? ... acronym of "Horrible Word Processor Format"?

Yup.  Had I known POI stuff would be viable as a business model I'd have
taken naming a lot more seriously and come up with something more stodgy.
However there was equal pressure from the open source folks with Richard
Stallman running off at the mouth about how you should tell customers not to
send you word documents and the such!  (it is easy to see who has real
client and who has speaking engagements).  The open source community seemed
to have a consensus at the time that projects such as POI would propagate
these formats rather than open them and make creating proprietary formats
largely a fools errand.  In order to dispel that view, we needed to
disparage the formats openly while porting them.  This was easy to do since
the file formats are indeed very bad.

--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: HDF status

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@nifty.com>.
On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 10:05:54 -0400
(Subject: Re: HDF status)

Re: HDF status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Then this is a good time to make the "break".

Create something Peer to HDF and come up with another cleaver acronym.  This
time lets check Google to see if its taken.  Maybe "HWPF" or something.  (We
need to change the name of HDF anyhow)

Or we could call it "anti-trust" ;-)

Just use HDF as the example and make the new tree, build changes, etc.

-Andy

On 6/2/03 9:15 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> No.. You just write over them.  CVS will automatically version them.  If
> you
>> need a before and after
>
> I'm using the same class names but not they are no longer the same classes.
> They will break the old stuff. understand?

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: HDF status

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.

Re: HDF status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
No.. You just write over them.  CVS will automatically version them.  If you
need a before and after

Cvs co jakarta-poi
Cvs tag pre-ryan jakarta-poi
Cvs update -A jakarta-poi
Vi ....
Cvs commit

-----

Cvs co -r pre-ryan jakarta-poi (gets before you changed them)

---

This isn't a branch, its just a tag.

On 6/2/03 9:04 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> Why do you need a branch?  This is in the sandbox.  Just make it compile
> and
>> commit.
>
> I'm using same class names as whats there now. Do I just create a new
> directory and throw everything in there?

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: HDF status

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.

Re: HDF status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

On 6/2/03 8:39 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

>> Commit early, commit often.
>
> How do I create a branch in cvs?

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: HDF status

Posted by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com>.

Re: HDF status

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Commit early, commit often.

On 6/2/03 6:44 AM, "Ryan Ackley" <sa...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to keep everyone up to date, I wasn't able to finish adding
> the writing component of HDF this past weekend. I worked on it all weekend
> but there just isn't enough time in the day. The good news is that progress
> is being made.
>
> Ryan

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi