Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tom Jones <tj...@acworld.com> on 2010/08/12 22:54:18 UTC

Apache Tomcat Native library question

Hello,
I'm running Tomcat 6.0.26 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.8 and I always get the "Info" message ...

"INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: .:/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java"

I have found some articles on how to compile the native library but I'm still a little fuzzy on is it necessary? Can anyone please speak to the worth of the Tomcat native library and should I do it? I was also hoping to find out if it can be compiled as a binary that can be distributed so that I dont have to put the Developer tools on my production servers?

Thanks,
tom

RE: Apache Tomcat Native library question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Apache Tomcat Native library question
>
> On 8/12/2010 6:08 PM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
> > Using [libtcnative] will improve performance for HTTPS traffic.
>
> It will also improve the performance of static content responses.

Haven't seen any significant differences there, whereas the SSL time is noticeable.

> If I have my facts straight, it also uses a slightly different request
> dispatching scheme that should be a bit more scalable than the standard
> blocking IO connector.

If one is concerned with scaling, one should be using the NIO connector, not the blocking one.

 - Chuck

Re: Apache Tomcat Native library question

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Apache Tomcat Native library question

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tom Jones [mailto:tjones@acworld.com]
> Subject: Apache Tomcat Native library question
>
> I have found some articles on how to compile the
> native library

Read the doc first:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/apr.html

And of course take a look at the APR and OpenSSL pages:
http://apr.apache.org/
http://www.openssl.org/

> I'm still a little fuzzy on is it necessary?

No - which is why the message is INFO.  Using it will improve performance for HTTPS traffic.

> I was also hoping to find out if it can be compiled as
> a binary that can be distributed so that I dont have to
> put the Developer tools on my production servers?

No technical issues, but you'll have to read the licenses and decide for yourself if it's legal in your situation.  (It normally is.)

 - Chuck