Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jeff Keyser <JK...@telocity.com> on 2002/03/02 17:41:43 UTC

Undelivered mail?

Last night, I sent two e-mails through my James server to two different
domains.  (Both of which happened to be to mailing lists.)  This morning
when I checked my e-mail, neither of them had been sent back to me as I had
expected.

What I found was that both e-mails were held up in the var/mail/outgoing
directory.  I restarted James, but both e-mails stayed.  I then stopped
James, deleted the e-mail from this directory, restarted it, and then resent
one of my messages.  This time, it went through right away.

What's really weird is that my James server is configured to relay e-mail
between my network and the Internet, and incoming e-mail passed right
through to my internal e-mail server while this other e-mail was stuck.
(BTW - Before anyone asks, it's not an open relay.  It is properly
configured to route e-mail only to or from my internal network.)

I know this isn't a lot of information to go on.  But, I was wondering if
anyone might have an idea of what might have happened, of could give me an
idea of where to look next time it does to help troubleshoot the problem.

Re: Undelivered mail?

Posted by Jordi Pujol <jo...@aujac.org>.
I have the same problem.
I have a domain with 60 users.
Sometimes there are users that send mails and doesn't arrive at their
destination until 2 weeks!!!!!!!!

And something so strange's:
Some users have their mail on the inboxes but they can't download it!!!

I can't validate with SMTP AUTH under JavaMail API, etc, etc... etc...

very large number of problems....

RE: Undelivered mail?

Posted by Jeff Keyser <JK...@telocity.com>.
I would like to provide an update to my issue.  Apparently, both of my
outgoing messages HAD been delivered.  This evening, I was awfully surprised
to get a response to the one I didn't resend!  Apparently, what had been
stuck were the messages coming BACK from those mailing lists that I hadn't
received.

First, I apologize for earlier posting the same message twice to this
mailing list. :-)

Second, I expect this changes the list of potential issues.  For one, I can
guarantee that it wasn't a problem with the destination e-mail server - that
server was working just fine during the time the e-mail was stuck.

Any ideas?