Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Leditschke <mi...@ammd.com.au> on 2002/09/03 09:08:16 UTC

Understanding the slide_ns_slide log

Hi.

I've done a vanilla 1.0.16 install of Slide
and am now trying to understand the configuration
basics. I'd appreciate an explanation of a couple of things.

1. slide_ns_slide log

In the slide_ns_slide log, I see the following lines

03 Sep 2002 16:42:41 - slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore - INFO - Connecting to "jdbc:hsqldb:slidestructure" as user "sa"
03 Sep 2002 16:42:42 - org.apache.slide.store.StandardStore - INFO - Delisting service
slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore@fbb7cb from active transaction with failure
03 Sep 2002 16:42:42 - org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransactionManager - INFO - Rollback Transaction 1 xid
main-1031035361184-1- in thread main

This would seem to suggest that the hsqldb didn't get set up correctly.
Is this the case? What happens when a service is "delisted"? I seem
to be able to lock files etc suggesting it is working ok. Has some
other descriptor store taken over from the JDBC store?

2. Making the descriptor store persistent

The hsql database would appear to be memory resident only.
I'd appreciate a pointer to instructions on how to make it
persistent. Do I need to recompile the code JDBCDescriptorNodeStore
code and add "CACHE" to each statement? How do I tell hsql where
to put its files?

3. Repopulation of the node store

If I copy some files and they get stored in the content store then
I shutdown and restart slide, assuming the node store isn't
persistent, does the node store automatically get populated with nodes
for each file in the content store, assuming hsql is not
persisting the node enties from when I first stored the content.
Are the node and file stores synchronised somehow or are operations
on each independent? How does this affect WEBDAV functionality?

Thanks for any assistence.

Regards
Michael

--

Michael Leditschke
AMMD Professional Services Pty Ltd

"The question of whether computers can think is
like the question of whether submarines can swim"

                    --Edsger W. Dijkstra,
                      deceased 6 August 2002

Re: Understanding the slide_ns_slide log

Posted by Andreas Probst <an...@gmx.net>.
> Hi.
>
> I've done a vanilla 1.0.16 install of Slide
> and am now trying to understand the configuration
> basics. I'd appreciate an explanation of a couple of things.
>
> 1. slide_ns_slide log
>
> In the slide_ns_slide log, I see the following lines
>
> 03 Sep 2002 16:42:41 - slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore - INFO - Connecting to "jdbc:hsqldb:slidestructure" as user "sa"
> 03 Sep 2002 16:42:42 - org.apache.slide.store.StandardStore - INFO - Delisting service
> slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore@fbb7cb from active transaction with failure
> 03 Sep 2002 16:42:42 - org.apache.slide.transaction.SlideTransactionManager - INFO - Rollback Transaction 1 xid
> main-1031035361184-1- in thread main
>

> This would seem to suggest that the hsqldb didn't get set up correctly.
> Is this the case? What happens when a service is "delisted"? I seem
> to be able to lock files etc suggesting it is working ok. Has some
> other descriptor store taken over from the JDBC store?
>
> 2. Making the descriptor store persistent
>
> The hsql database would appear to be memory resident only.
> I'd appreciate a pointer to instructions on how to make it
> persistent. Do I need to recompile the code JDBCDescriptorNodeStore
> code and add "CACHE" to each statement? How do I tell hsql where
> to put its files?

I didn't recompile anything. I use

        <nodestore
classname="slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore">
         <parameter
name="driver">org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver</parameter>
         <parameter
name="url">jdbc:hsqldb:c:\java\slidestructure</parameter>
         <parameter name="user">sa</parameter>
         <parameter name="password"></parameter>
        </nodestore>

It is persistent. Watch the url. HSQL creates its database files
in c:\java. The files are named slidestructure.*

Don't forget to make the contentstore persistent by setting
resetBeforeStarting to false.
BTW, you can set the directory for the content store by setting
an absolute path, like <parameter
name="rootpath">c:\contentstore</parameter>. It's not portable,
but it works.