Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by John Melody <jo...@sybernet.ie> on 2004/03/25 17:39:32 UTC

EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory for Secure and Proxied.

Hi,

I have just been trying to get my httpclient to accept a
self signed certificate on a secure, proxied connection. I
followed the SSL guide directions but it did not seem to be
picking up my new factory.

When I checked in the source code I noticed the following code.

HttpConnection.java
       // use the protocol's socket factory unless this is a secure
                // proxied connection
                final ProtocolSocketFactory socketFactory =
                    (isSecure() && isProxied()
                            ? new DefaultProtocolSocketFactory()
                            : protocolInUse.getSocketFactory());

Why is this restiction in place?

regards,
John.

John Melody
SyberNet Ltd.
Galway Business Park,
Dangan,
Galway.
Tel. No. +353 91 514400
Fax. NO. +353 91 514409
Mobile - 087-2345847

Re: EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory for Secure and Proxied.

Posted by Eric Johnson <er...@tibco.com>.
The initial "connection" to the proxy server is actually done over an
unencrypted channel.

Subsequent communications are encrypted only after the connection to the
proxy has been established.

This isn't a "restriction", rather I believe it follows the proxy
specification.

-Eric.