Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/03/03 00:26:49 UTC

FW: anoncvs off for now

FYI.

-jon

----------
From: Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 14:32:29 -0800 (PST)
To: <co...@apache.org>
Subject: anoncvs off for now

Either someone posted to slashdot telling people to use anoncvs to
download every module off of apache.org at once, or a denial of service
attack was underway (what's the difference, really?) so anonymous
pserver-based CVS access is shut down for today; I'll turn it back on
tonight.

The volume of traffic I was seeing (80 or so concurrent connections)
wouldn't be so bad if cvs wasn't trying to create a mirror of the
requested modules under a process-specific dir in /tmp, where each "file"
only has the delta needed for xfer (usually blank).  We soooooo need
subversion here!

 Brian