Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com> on 2017/10/01 08:27:59 UTC

Re: Should Flume integration be behind a profile?

I tried and failed to do this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22142 because it became clear
that the Flume examples would have to be removed to make this work, too.
(Well, you can imagine other solutions with extra source dirs or modules
for flume examples enabled by a profile, but that doesn't help the docs and
is nontrivial complexity for little gain.)

It kind of suggests Flume support should be deprecated if it's put behind a
profile. Like with Kafka 0.8. (This is why I'm raising it again to the
whole list.)

Any preferences among:
1. Put Flume behind a profile, remove examples, deprecate
2. Put Flume behind a profile, remove examples, but don't deprecate
3. Punt until Spark 3.0, when this integration would probably be removed
entirely (?)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
CCing user@
Yeah good point about perhaps moving the examples into the module itself.
Actually removing it would be a long way off, no matter what.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
CCing user@

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'd agree with #1 or #2. Deprecation now seems fine.
>
> Perhaps this should be raised on the user list also?
>
> And perhaps it makes sense to look at moving the Flume support into Apache
> Bahir if there is interest (I've cc'ed Bahir dev list here)? That way the
> current state of the connector could keep going for those users who may
> need it.

+1

Apache Bahir main goal is to provide extensions to multiple distributed
analytic platforms, extending their reach with a diversity of streaming
connectors and SQL data sources. Apache Bahir would welcome proposals to
move extensions from Apache Spark to itself, this would give more
flexibility to the Spark dev community as they could focus on core
functionality, without loosing the ability to enhance these extensions as
most of Spark committers have write access to Bahir repositories. Also,
users should not see much difference, as Bahir have been creating releases
for every Spark release.

If the Spark dev community decides to move to this route, please create a
jira on the Bahir project and we could use this thread or a new specific
one to discuss any details.

Thanks

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: Should Flume integration be behind a profile?

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
CCing user@

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.