Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Eric Norman <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/02 23:04:51 UTC

Re: Disabling flaky tests

Personally, I'm not a big fan of hiding flaky/failing tests since it tends
to remove some of the motivation to stabilize/fix them in a timely manner.

That's my 2 cents.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Disabling flaky tests

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I would agree if the jenkins we have would be stable; i have the feeling
> that a lot of build failures on that instance are simply because of some
> problems of the build server itself...

There were issues in the last few weeks but
https://builds.apache.org/view/S-Z/view/Sling/ looks better now IMO.

Builds have been failing there in the last few days for rational
reasons - I just fixed SLING-2903 which broke the build yesterday
(shame on me ;-)

We also have or had tests that fail semi-randomly, like SLING-2818
which looks good now since I added retries. We have quite a lot of
asynchronous setup points in Sling, which means our tests must
sometimes wait for things to settle after setting up scripts of
configs, that complicates things a bit.

-Bertrand

Re: Disabling flaky tests

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
I would agree if the jenkins we have would be stable; i have the feeling
that a lot of build failures on that instance are simply because of some
problems of the build server itself. I tried to chased too many times such
issues. For example, right now, every day we get build errors reported in
some modules while at the next day they pass - without any changes at all.

So I think the first step is to have a stable build env

But I'm fine with any direction as long as we fix known bugs before a
release

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

RE: Disabling flaky tests

Posted by Jeff Young <je...@adobe.com>.

Re: Disabling flaky tests

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hm, my proposal isn't winning any popularity contests, so I won't go
through with it :-)

Re: Disabling flaky tests

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

--