Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kevin Osborn <ke...@cbsi.com> on 2013/09/03 23:15:34 UTC

Solr Cloud hangs when replicating updates

I was having problems updating SolrCloud with a large batch of records. The
records are coming in bursts with lulls between updates.

At first, I just tried large updates of 100,000 records at a time.
Eventually, this caused Solr to hang. When hung, I can still query Solr.
But I cannot do any deletes or other updates to the index.

At first, my updates were going as SolrJ CSV posts. I have also tried local
file updates and had similar results. I finally slowed things down to just
use SolrJ's Update feature, which is basically just JavaBin. I am also
sending over just 100 at a time in 10 threads. Again, it eventually hung.

Sometimes, Solr hangs in the first couple of chunks. Other times, it hangs
right away.

These are my commit settings:

<autoCommit>
       <maxTime>15000</maxTime>
       <maxDocs>5000</maxDocs>
       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
     </autoCommit>
<autoSoftCommit>
         <maxTime>30000</maxTime>
       </autoSoftCommit>

I have tried quite a few variations with the same results. I also tried
various JVM settings with the same results. The only variable seems to be
that reducing the cluster size from 2 to 1 is the only thing that helps.

I also did a jstack trace. I did not see any explicit deadlocks, but I did
see quite a few threads in WAITING or TIMED_WAITING. It is typically
something like this:

  java.lang.Thread.State: WAITING (parking)
        at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
        - parking to wait for  <0x000000074039a450> (a
java.util.concurrent.Semaphore$NonfairSync)
        at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(LockSupport.java:186)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.parkAndCheckInterrupt(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:834)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.doAcquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:994)
        at
java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.acquireSharedInterruptibly(AbstractQueuedSynchronizer.java:1303)
        at java.util.concurrent.Semaphore.acquire(Semaphore.java:317)
        at
org.apache.solr.util.AdjustableSemaphore.acquire(AdjustableSemaphore.java:61)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrCmdDistributor.submit(SolrCmdDistributor.java:418)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrCmdDistributor.submit(SolrCmdDistributor.java:368)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrCmdDistributor.flushAdds(SolrCmdDistributor.java:300)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.SolrCmdDistributor.distribAdd(SolrCmdDistributor.java:139)
        at
org.apache.solr.update.processor.DistributedUpdateProcessor.processAdd(DistributedUpdateProcessor.java:474)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.loader.CSVLoaderBase.doAdd(CSVLoaderBase.java:395)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.loader.SingleThreadedCSVLoader.addDoc(CSVLoader.java:44)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.loader.CSVLoaderBase.load(CSVLoaderBase.java:364)
        at org.apache.solr.handler.loader.CSVLoader.load(CSVLoader.java:31)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.UpdateRequestHandler$1.load(UpdateRequestHandler.java:92)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.ContentStreamHandlerBase.handleRequestBody(ContentStreamHandlerBase.java:74)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:135)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1904)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.execute(SolrDispatchFilter.java:659)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:362)
        at
org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:158)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1419)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:455)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:137)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:533)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:231)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1075)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:384)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:193)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1009)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:135)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:255)
        at
org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:154)

It basically appears that Solr gets stuck while trying to acquire a
semaphore that never becomes available.

Anyone have any ideas? This is definitely causing major problems for us.

--
*KEVIN OSBORN*
LEAD SOFTWARE ENGINEER

RE: Solr Cloud hangs when replicating updates

Posted by Greg Walters <gw...@sherpaanalytics.com>.
Kevin,

Take a look at http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/updating-docs-in-solr-cloud-hangs-td4067388.html and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4816. I had the same issue that you're reporting for a while then I applied the patch from SOLR-4816 to my clients and the problems went away. If you don't feel like applying the patch it looks like it should be included in the release of version 4.5. Also note that the problem happens more frequently when the replication factor is greater than 1.

Thanks,
Greg

Posted by mewmewball <me...@gmail.com>.
Hey guys,

We just hit a deadlock similar to this one on 4.5, and it seems to be
related to leaked connections probably due to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4327. We're going to apply the
suggested change to add "method.abort()" in the finally block and see if it
fixes things.

Jessica

Re: Solr Cloud hangs when replicating updates

Posted by Kevin Osborn <ke...@cbsi.com>.
Thanks a ton Mark. I have tried SOLR-4816 and it didn't help. But I will
try Mark's patch next week, and see what happens.

-Kevin

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevin Osborn <ke...@cbsi.com>.