Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Felix Breuer <fe...@fbreuer.de> on 2003/06/26 17:44:50 UTC

MathML in Batik [was: Re: foreignOjbect element support]

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 11:36, Ingrid Falk wrote:
> i also have a servlet providing several transformations, like
> xml->svg, svg->jpeg, svg->png. The servlet is not accessible yet
> because we're behind a firewall, but we plan to publish the service
> during the weeks to come. I could provide a .war file for download, if
> you're interested. You would need a servlet container to try it. On
> our site it runs on Tomcat.

IMO servlets are primarily useful for publishing existing SVG+MathML
documents. I am more interested in authoring/editing SVG+MathML
documents (in order to have something to publish ;^). A SVG+MathML ->
pure SVG -> display solution would require hand-coding of MathML and
MathML does not lend itself to that.

If Batik supported MathML it would be possible to write a simple drawing
program (containing a simple MathML editor) to a) create SVG drawings
containing formulas or b) insert formulas into existing SVG images. It
would be much easier to create content this way.

Even more importantly: if FOP supported MathML, it would become the
first XSL:FO processor supporing MathML that does *not* depend on
(La)TeX in the background (as PassiveTeX does). Thus, a toolchain would
be in place which a) allows creation and publication of scientific
documents including diagrams and which b) is independent of TeX.

While many will object: "Why is that necessary? TeX works fine for me!"
I have to say that I, personally, would welcome an alternative to TeX.

Regards,
Felix