Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by "Boutelle, Jonathan" <jo...@commerceone.com> on 2002/07/09 21:46:15 UTC

extracting text elements using xpath and xalan

Hello All,
I'm trying to extract a text element (the string "Response") from an xml doc
using xpath and xalan.  My doc is below

<RoutingInfo>
<MessageType foo="bar">Response</MessageType>
</RoutingInfo>

My xpath (which doesn't work) is as follows:
/RoutingInfo/MessageType/child::*

However, if I use the following xpath instead
/RoutingInfo/MessageType/
I get back a DOM node that has a child node of type text.

My code is as follows:
    InputSource in = new InputSource(new ByteArrayInputStream(docBytes));
    DocumentBuilderFactory dfactory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
    dfactory.setNamespaceAware(false);
    org.w3c.dom.Document doc = dfactory.newDocumentBuilder().parse(in);
    Node n = XPathAPI.selectSingleNode(doc,
"RoutingInfo/MessageType/child::*");
    Node n=getNodeFromDom(doc,"/RoutingInfo/MessageType/");

I presume that my xpath query is wrong, but it looks correct to me.  Ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Boutelle