Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Dennis Byrne <de...@dbyrne.net> on 2007/02/26 16:52:45 UTC

logging again ... was Re: Running MyFaces 1.2

    Since JSF is part of the JEE 5 spec users don't need to include the

> JSF jars or their dependencies in their webapps when deploying into
> Geronimo 2.0.  This makes developing a webapp much easier but makes
> developing JSF a little more tricky because the MyFaces jars are part
> of the server runtime.

Hi Paul,

On this team there is an age old debate about how logging.  The gist is that
we have static loggers all over the place.  This of course is not good
because the jars are not going to be located in the war (where they are
isolated by separate class loaders).

Well, team ... we've never had a better reason to rip out the static
loggers.  What do you say?

Best wishes,

Dennis Byrne

Re: logging again ... was Re: Running MyFaces 1.2

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Works for me.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Excellent observation, Dennis.  In Geronimo and a few other app
servers I am familiar with the user is provided with several knobs
that can affect classloading.  Ideally, a component designed to run in
different types of containers would make as few assumptions about its
container's classloader configuration as possible.  For example,
Geronimo's classloaders can have multiple immediate parents which
confuses code that thinks it can find resources (like TLDs) in the
app's classloader by walking up a direct lineage of classloaders using
getParent().  And like you say, factories and services like logging
can get confused when they key on classes that are available from
multiple classloaders.

Another item somewhat related to this discussion that comes to mind is
how Geronimo provides a shared instance of the Dojo toolkit in a
preinstalled webapp that is deployed at the context "/dojo".  Webapps
can of course include their own private copy of the Dojo toolkit in
their WAR but they miss out on several benefits such as improved
resource caching across application contexts, smaller application
footprint, and having the ability to upgrade and otherwise manage the
Dojo component separately from their webapp.  I thought this might be
interesting to those working on Dojo/MyFaces integration.

Best wishes,
Paul