Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Mohankalyan, Sathyanarayanan" <S....@irco.com> on 2016/04/04 00:41:20 UTC

Hardware used

Hi
Please comment on what sort of hardwares you have configured for Cassandra?
My questions are primarily on capacity utilized vs allocated., to justify hardware proposal requirements.
Thanks
Sathya

________________________________

The information contained in this message is privileged and intended only for the recipients named. If the reader is not a representative of the intended recipient, any review, dissemination or copying of this message or the information it contains is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender, and delete the original message and attachments.

Re: Hardware used

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
It depends on your use case.

I believe nice options in AWS would be (if not using AWS, you will have a
rough idea of what machines to use)

I2 family - Fast (SSD), relatively limited capacity (800 GB+), expensive
D2 family - Relatively fast many HD (consider using raid-0), Very high
storage capacity per node. Cheaper

If using a very small dataset or if you are wanting to go with EBS, use 'C'
or 'R' families.

Basically, it is very hard to answer. It is more complicated and random
than answering you about what vehicle you need to use, without knowing
where you are, where you go, how much time or money you have and want to
use for this trip...

This might help you too:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/planning/architecturePlanningHardware_c.html

My questions are primarily on capacity utilized vs allocated., to justify
> hardware proposal requirements.

Regarding this I would say

Use 50 to 80 % max of the available disk space per node (depending on the
compaction strategy - 50% for STCS/DTCS - 80% if using LCS)
CPU I would not go higher than 70 or 80 % but in many clusters this is not
the bottleneck.
Memory is automatically used near to 100% (Heap, off-heap memory directly
used by cassandra + system disk page caching). So the more memory, the
better (set the heap size carefully though).

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - alain@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com