Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/11/06 15:29:02 UTC

JSPC problems with webapp option

Hi all,

I toyed a bit with the webapp option of JSPC, and a few things seemed
really odd.

- Although there are options to generate web.xml files or fragments,
this makes no sense as the generated files are now meant to be put in
the work directory instead. This was probably done as a workaround for
the slow Jasper runtime (that has been fixed). I think those options
should be removed, and it should be made clear that the target directory
should be the webapp's work directory.

- There should be an optional compilation flag (also compile if
present). That's very convinient IMO. I propose "-c" (with "false" being
the default).

Those changes should be simple to implement (I plan to do it, and
integrate them in 4.1.15).

Comments ?

Remy

Re: JSPC problems with webapp option

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I toyed a bit with the webapp option of JSPC, and a few things seemed
> really odd.
>
> - Although there are options to generate web.xml files or fragments,
> this makes no sense as the generated files are now meant to be put in
> the work directory instead. This was probably done as a workaround for
> the slow Jasper runtime (that has been fixed). I think those options
> should be removed, and it should be made clear that the target directory
> should be the webapp's work directory.
>
> - There should be an optional compilation flag (also compile if
> present). That's very convinient IMO. I propose "-c" (with "false" being
> the default).
>
> Those changes should be simple to implement (I plan to do it, and
> integrate them in 4.1.15).
>
> Comments ?

+1

Here is a related idea we may want to do sometime in the future.

Add a flag to the manager deploy and install commands which forces a compile
of all JSP pages before the context is made available.  Kind of a precompile
all JSP pages as the webapp is installed option.

Regards,

Glenn

RE: JSPC problems with webapp option

Posted by John Trollinger <ja...@trollingers.com>.
There are some people that would like to precompile the webapp and then
just deploy the generated servlets with there webapp, to remove this
option would really hinder their ability to due this (although the
package naming already makes this tough to do and there are patches
floating around to allow the packages to be generated from the dir
structure, I also belive there are bugs about this)

Just my 2 cents..
John