Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Rick Tessner <ri...@dingle.myra.com> on 2000/09/15 21:10:27 UTC

Newbie : Creating XML docs via an application (ie. non-manual)

Hello All!

I've been using Cocoon (web publishing framework for XML docs) for a
couple of months now and am quite happy with it for the publishing
side of things.

The publishing side assumes that there is an XML document that can
be published.

But what about the non-manual creation of the XML documents themselves?
I can create docs w/ Emacs, Arbourtext, vi, etc.  That's no problem.  The
issue that I have revolves around an application generating XML docs as
the output of a process.

I might have an inventory application, invoice application, etc.  Instead
of generating a reports or web page, I'd be creating an XML document
that conforms to a DTD or XML Schema.

Is there an API that people are using to do this within an application?
I've been looking at SAX which doesn't seem to be suitable for
manipulation of an XML tree and DOM, which appears better suited to
manipulation of elements in a tree.

What are people doing out there for the application-creation of XML
docs??  Just writing code to generate XML and when the DTD or Schema
changes, updating the code? (ewwwww ...)

Any pointers to existing standards, examples, etc. would be very
much appreciated!  Thanks!

--
Rick Tessner	rick@myra.com
MYRA Systems Corp. Fone: (250) 381 1335 x125  Phax: (250) 381 1304

"Hmmm.  They have the Internet on computers now!"

RE: Newbie : Creating XML docs via an application (ie. non-manual)

Posted by Ed Staub <es...@mediaone.net>.
It sounds like you're looking for an object-to-XML mapping tool.

If so, check out Castor, at castor.exolab.org.  There are some others out
there also; hopefully other folks will chime in.

I have not used Castor, but I am tempted.

Also, the Java Community Process is working on "Avalon", but don't expect
anything in the near future.

-Ed Staub