Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by "Thomas P. Fuller" <th...@coherentlogic.com> on 2011/02/03 17:44:14 UTC

Question about adding the domain object into the response

Hi,

I'm developing some web services using CXF and in a few places it would be dead
easy to simply return the entity object. The problem with doing this is that:

1.) Sending the domain object could result in a lot of unnecessary information
being sent to the client.
2.) It will expose our data model (ie. inner workings of our  application) to
the client, which means if the data model changes, then  the clients will need
to change as well.
3.) We will need to fiddle the data model to deal with a  marshalling issues on
the client side (we have one low profile device and we already know this is
going to be a problem).
Another solution is to have an external data model that is used specifically for
calls to and responses from the web services. The trouble with this approach is
that it requires quite a bit of work because we'll need to map one set of
objects to another.

Am I correct in the way I view this or have I missed something?

If the mapping layer and external data model are required, would anyone have any
suggestions on how to tackle the mapping effort quickly?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Re: Question about adding the domain object into the response

Posted by "Thomas P. Fuller" <th...@coherentlogic.com>.
Hi Sergey,

Thanks for your response -- I'll look into this as a possible solution.

Tom

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Thomas P. Fuller <
thomas.fuller@coherentlogic.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing some web services using CXF and in a few places it would be
> dead
> easy to simply return the entity object. The problem with doing this is
> that:
>

> 1.) Sending the domain object could result in a lot of unnecessary
> information
> being sent to the client.
> 2.) It will expose our data model (ie. inner workings of our  application)
> the client, which means if the data model changes, then  the clients will
> need
> to change as well.

indeed

> 3.) We will need to fiddle the data model to deal with a  marshalling
> issues on
> the client side (we have one low profile device and we already know this is
> going to be a problem).
> Another solution is to have an external data model that is used
> specifically for
> calls to and responses from the web services. The trouble with this
> approach is
> that it requires quite a bit of work because we'll need to map one set of
> objects to another.
>
> that would be ideal but if a lot of information needs to be exposed then I
can see your point...

> Am I correct in the way I view this or have I missed something?
>
> If the mapping layer and external data model are required, would anyone
> have any
> suggestions on how to tackle the mapping effort quickly?

Perhaps another option is the server-side transformation ? The transformer
can strip off the fields the client does not need to know about...

Cheers, Sergey

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Thomas P. Fuller <
thomas.fuller@coherentlogic.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing some web services using CXF and in a few places it would be
> dead
> easy to simply return the entity object. The problem with doing this is
> that:
>

> 1.) Sending the domain object could result in a lot of unnecessary
> information
> being sent to the client.
> 2.) It will expose our data model (ie. inner workings of our  application)
> the client, which means if the data model changes, then  the clients will
> need
> to change as well.

indeed