Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Fossestøl, Vegard <Ve...@moller.no> on 2015/10/13 10:12:39 UTC

Problem with pdfbox save(Version 1.8.7 and snapshot 2.0.0) moe info

Hi,

I have encountered a strange problem with pdf box. I'm trying to split a Larger PDF file into smaller ones. The split function does work, but when saving the new generated pdf to disk, there's a problem. I get this errormessage:
COSStream has been closed and cannot be read. Perhaps its enclosing PDDocument has been closed?

But I've sysout'ed the state of the document which say's it's not closed. And as well, the program runs properly in debug mode. I'm currently running eclipse on a Websphere applicatation Server 7. And I've tried to fix the problem for days now. But converting the PDDocument to a bytearray, and everything that is possible. As well I've tried to just use your save function that takes a filename as a parameter (Which is extremely slow, you should use a filebuffer and bytearray to save it).

How is it possible that it works in debug mode, and not "normal" mode. And I'm adding a picture so it's possible for you to see the stacktrace. I'm adding a small part of the code as well, so it's possible for you to analyze the source code (Which now looks bad, due to not being able to use debug mode, since it works fine)

Hope you have the time to help me as soon as possible. Btw, get the same error at version 1.8.7 and 2.0.0

Med vennlig hilsen
Vegard Fossest�l
Tlf: 916 32 699
Konsulent M�llergruppen

Re: Problem with pdfbox save(Version 1.8.7 and snapshot 2.0.0) moe info

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Hi,

I tried something simple and did not have any problem. Could you post
some short complete code that reproduces the problem? Please post also a
link to some public PDF.

Now that it is quite possible that a COSStream is closed, but not the
COSDocument that contains it.

My suspicion is that after the split, some pages are closed, and later
you are saving the original document (or split several times and then
save). The problem is that internally, the elements are not cloned.

Re "filebuffer" - Are you building from source? If yes, please change
the save method like this and tell whether it goes faster:

     public void save(File file) throws IOException
     {
         save(new BufferedOutputStream(new FileOutputStream(file)));
     }

I doubt we'd want to save to a memory buffer first and then save as a
whole, this would cost much more space, but you can of course do this
yourself.

re "same error at version 1.8.7" - I doubt this. There is no "COSStream
has been closed and cannot be read" message there. (And we're at 1.8.10
now).

Tilman