Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Ahmad Shahzad <as...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/02 13:51:16 UTC

sockets in hadoop

Hi ALL,
           Can anyone tell me the purpose of sockets used in hadoop. I mean
for which purpose hadoop uses sockets?  are they used by tasktracker and
jobtrackers ? or used by namenode and datanode ?

Secondly, if hadoop has to use sockets does it uses the socket factory
classes given in org/apache/hadoop/net directory?

Ahmad

Re: sockets in hadoop

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>           Can anyone tell me the purpose of sockets used in hadoop. I mean
> for which purpose hadoop uses sockets?  are they used by tasktracker and
> jobtrackers ? or used by namenode and datanode ?

All communication between Hadoop masters (JobTracker, NameNode),
slaves (TaskTracker, DataNode) and clients happens using a custom RPC
built over sockets.

> Secondly, if hadoop has to use sockets does it uses the socket factory
> classes given in org/apache/hadoop/net directory?

Yes

Thanks
hemanth