Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/05/21 02:07:08 UTC

WWW Form Bug Report: "the check auth function for a module is called multiple times per access" on BSDI (fwd)

not acked

From: khera@kciLink.com
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Mon May 20 16:06:34 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "the check auth function for a module is called multiple times per access" on BSDI

Submitter: khera@kciLink.com
Operating system: BSDI, version: 2.1
Version of Apache Used: 1.1b2
Extra Modules used: my own mod_auth_msql.c
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
I added group authorization checking to my version
of mod_auth_msql.c and discovered that the handler

here's the structure:

module msql_auth_module = {
   STANDARD_MODULE_STUFF,
   NULL,                        /* initializer */
   create_msql_auth_dir_config, /* dir config creater */
   NULL,                        /* dir merger --- default is to override */
   NULL,                        /* server config */
   NULL,                        /* merge server config */
   msql_auth_cmds,              /* command table */
   NULL,                        /* handlers */
   NULL,                        /* filename translation */
   msql_authenticate_basic_user, /* check_user_id */
   msql_check_auth,             /* check auth */
   NULL,                        /* check access */
   NULL,                        /* type_checker */
   NULL,                        /* fixups */
   NULL                         /* logger */
};

the function msql_check_auth() is called three times
to access one HTML file.  This results in three queries
to the mSQL database.  Luckily this is fast.  I confirmed
this by adding a fprintf(stderr,"here\n"); to the top
of the function.  I also noticed that only during the
first call to this function is the request_rec field
"the_request" non-null.

The html file in question has no external images or
any other references; it is just a simple file.

PS: I hope you include my version of mod_auth_msql.c
in the final Apache 1.1 release, now that it has
group support.  The latest version is available on my
ftp server:

  ftp.kciLink.com in pub/mod_auth_msql.c.gz

if you'd like to consider it.  Thanks.
--

Backtrace:

----- End of forwarded message from khera@kciLink.com -----