Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net> on 2001/11/10 01:33:51 UTC

Caching confusion

Okay, I'm stupid. I thought I had this worked out a long time ago, but I
just ran into some problems with caching.

Somewhere, I have the following call:

$Response->Include('page_sidebar.inc');

I just edited page_sidebar.inc, but it's still executing the old code from
page_sidebar.inc. I'm not using the caching API in that call, and I have
"PerlSetVar StatINC 1" in httpd.conf.

Is there some other setting somewhere that I missed? This is a development
server so I want any change I make to any file to always take effect
immediately (i.e. no caching).

Re: Caching confusion

Posted by Joshua Chamas <jo...@chamas.com>.
Philip Mak wrote:

> Okay, I'm stupid. I thought I had this worked out a long time ago, but I
> just ran into some problems with caching.
>
> Somewhere, I have the following call:
>
> $Response->Include('page_sidebar.inc');
>
> I just edited page_sidebar.inc, but it's still executing the old code from
> page_sidebar.inc. I'm not using the caching API in that call, and I have
> "PerlSetVar StatINC 1" in httpd.conf.

Make sure you don't have StatScripts 0 set somewhere, and that
your system clock hasn't changed recently.  The latter problem
can usually be fixed with a web server restart, since the times
Apache::ASP uses will get updated right.

Oh, sometimes what one thinks is a page failing to recompile
is the browser caching.  This was has stumped me a number of times,
shift-reload on NS browser & ctrl-reload on MS IE to force a
reload I believe, maybe the other way around.

Finally, if you have a page_sidebar.inc somewhere else in the
system, that might be getting picked up too.  For example, you
might be working on one in Global, but its really in the local dir
that you need to modify it.

If its none of these, then maybe we have a bug on our hands?
If you can get me a error_log trace with Debug set to -1
for this error that would be good, as well as the mtimes
of the files in that directory.

--Josh