Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com> on 2004/02/17 19:40:39 UTC

Peas and Carrots

The first success story is up at Peas and Carrots
http://gump.chalko.com/gb/blog/
How does the group feel about including Peas and Carrots at Planet Apache?

R,
Nick

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
If its a humanly written success story, then slap it up there.  +1
On Feb 18, 2004, at 12:26 PM, Thom May wrote:

> * Adam Jack (ajack@trysybase.com) wrote :
>> Stefano wrote:
>>
>>> the people at planet apache people (myself included) were concerned
>>> about the de-humanity of bots in a place for people.. but this is
>>> people-generated for people consumption so it fits right in, IMO.
>>
>> I recall there also being a bunch of folks who didn't want Planet
>> Apache to
>> be about Apache stuff, so much as Apache people. I have seen some
>> folks blog
>> about Apache software releases (on their personal blogs), but this is
>> going
>> one step further (yet again). This would be a purely Apache (and/or
>> wider
>> community) content blog, nothing personal.
>>
> Mmm, but it isn't just completely impersonal "spew". I wouldn't be
> unhappy in
> including it.
> Cheers,
> -Thom

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Thom May <th...@planetarytramp.net>.

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> True, it's software related, but so many things are around this apache
> planet :-)

With Nick's/your/Thom's/Ted's +1s, I've added it

See the subscribtions, i.e. 'Apache Gump' (not Jakarta Gump as off a short
while, Yahoo!!! :-)

    http://www.planetapache.org

I was never objecting, just trying to ensure we had covered the bases in
case of grumblings.

regards

Adam

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Adam Jack wrote:

> Stefano wrote:
>

>>the people at planet apache people (myself included) were concerned
>>about the de-humanity of bots in a place for people.. but this is
>>people-generated for people consumption so it fits right in, IMO.
>

> I recall there also being a bunch of folks who didn't want Planet Apache to
> be about Apache stuff, so much as Apache people.

Gump is about injected social interaction after all. When Ted is telling
me what new scripting technique he's working on, the difference between
apache stuff and apache people blurs massively.

If we start sending news about new software releases then I'm sure that
people will start complaining, because that's not a social thing, but if
we say how much ass we saved by making velocity know that jdom removed a
deprecated method before either one of them made a release, well, that's
the kind of signal that people want to know about social interaction.

True, it's software related, but so many things are around this apache
planet :-)

> I have seen some folks blog
> about Apache software releases (on their personal blogs), but this is going
> one step further (yet again). This would be a purely Apache (and/or wider
> community) content blog, nothing personal.
>
> I suspect most of what raised the ire of folks before was the spam-like
> batches of mutliple postings that Gump puts out, and this blog would not be
> so verbose (not even close).

yep

> It might be easy enough for folks to overlook,
> should they not want that sort of content. That said, it is pushing the
> boundaries of Planet Apache again, and may not be deemed appropriate.
> Clearly, Gump may not be in a good position to be granted leighway given the
> history.
>
> Given my role in upsetting folks the first time, I'm just playing devil's
> advocate...

The gump noisyness is topic for a post that is coming up very soon, but
it's not related to this.

--
Stefano.

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@trysybase.com>.
Stefano wrote:

> the people at planet apache people (myself included) were concerned
> about the de-humanity of bots in a place for people.. but this is
> people-generated for people consumption so it fits right in, IMO.

I recall there also being a bunch of folks who didn't want Planet Apache to
be about Apache stuff, so much as Apache people. I have seen some folks blog
about Apache software releases (on their personal blogs), but this is going
one step further (yet again). This would be a purely Apache (and/or wider
community) content blog, nothing personal.

I suspect most of what raised the ire of folks before was the spam-like
batches of mutliple postings that Gump puts out, and this blog would not be
so verbose (not even close). It might be easy enough for folks to overlook,
should they not want that sort of content. That said, it is pushing the
boundaries of Planet Apache again, and may not be deemed appropriate.
Clearly, Gump may not be in a good position to be granted leighway given the
history.

Given my role in upsetting folks the first time, I'm just playing devil's
advocate...

regards,

Adam

Re: Peas and Carrots

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Context for Ted and Thom: Nick setup a system that picks up blog posts
from the Gump CVS and makes the RSS feed available from that URL below.

This is meant to be a way for the gump community to show off the success
stories of Gump and get people excited about it (and potentially, new
contributers and projects following the continous integration approach)

Nick Chalko wrote:

> The first success story is up at Peas and Carrots
> http://gump.chalko.com/gb/blog/
> How does the group feel about including Peas and Carrots at Planet Apache?

+1

Peas and Carrots added to JavaBlogs

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
http://www.javablogs.com/ViewBlog.jspa?id=12032