Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Hafiz A Haq <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/02 12:29:03 UTC

Constructing a gadget with different preferences

Hi team,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but still i thought i
will shoot it.

First up let me clarify my dev environment.

I have setup Shindig in my webserver and i am using it to render various
igoogle gadgets and my custom gadgets into my dashboard.

We are developing our application with GWT/Flex and is converting these
pages into gadgets by makin use of google-gadgets-api.

The google gadget api provides a UserPreferences object in gadgets init
method and i could use this object to retrieve the preferences set by the
user.

My question, how could i populate this userpreferences object while
constructing the gadget?

Or rather is there a standard way i should construct my gadget url appending
the user preferences to let the gadget constructor code to render based on
the provided preferences?

I am using gadget metadata service retrieve the gadget metadata and render
the iframe using the javascript

newGadgetChrome.innerHTML = [
      '<iframe src="', gadget.iframeUrl, '&libs=', libs ,
      '" id="remote_iframe_', gadget.moduleId, '" name="remote_iframe_',
       gadget.moduleId, '" style="height :', gadget.height, '"></iframe>'
    ].join("");

Thanks and Regards,
Hafiz

--
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a
fool forever.

Re: Constructing a gadget with different preferences

Posted by Hafiz A Haq <ha...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Tim.

It was actually simpler than i thought, but i had to  debug RPCServlet.java
to understand how to pass preferences along with request object.

var requestObj = {
    context: {
    },
     gadgets: [
      {
        url: gadgetUrl,
        moduleId: 0,
       * prefs:
        {
           pref1:val1,
           pref2:val2
        }*
      }
      ]

  };

The bold text was the key.

Thanks and Regards,
Hafiz

Posted by Tim Moore <tm...@atlassian.com>.
On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Hafiz A Haq wrote:

> Or rather is there a standard way i should construct my gadget url
> appending
> the user preferences to let the gadget constructor code to render
> based on
> the provided preferences?

Yes. Add a set of query parameters named like up_prefname with the
value set to the string value of the user pref (list prefs are pipe
(|) delimited; literal pipes should be URL-encoded).

Look at getIframeUrl and getUserPrefsParams in <http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/shindig/trunk/javascript/container/gadgets.js?view=markup
 > for an example.

Cheers,
--